Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SmartRap Build - (Frost!) Printed Rods

Posted by kingoddball 
SmartRap Build - (Frost!) Printed Rods
May 27, 2014 09:48PM
Hi!
I started building up a SmartRap a few weeks back and decided to used printed LM8UU which I was pretty happy with - So I wanted to try one better and print the rods.

I got everything printed in ABS - But have a small print size limit (120mm/12cm) so I had to 'glue' the prints together with acetone.

These broke too easily, has anyone got any ideas for a printable rod (in pieces) where it will lock into each other?
Like, top and bottom have a positive lock and I can glue them together from there, the weak point is the join (maybe an odd shape to interlock).

I only know how to use Tinkercad and it is not really precise enough to make a proper joining piece (not with my knowledge)

My goal with this is to get it as printed as possible - Limit all components.

I think for the Z it will be fine as it also has the M5 rod to brace onto.
X could be fine if I can get it to hold tight and Y seems ok as its just the extruder.

My goal is just a partial print! Be happy with just all axis movements even.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 09:50PM by kingoddball.
Attachments:
open | download - P1.gif (140.3 KB)
open | download - P2.gif (126.5 KB)
open | download - P3.gif (124.2 KB)
open | download - P4.gif (98.3 KB)
Re: SmartRap Build - (Frost!) Printed Rods
May 28, 2014 12:01AM
You could just do something simple like this. I'll take it you were just gluing the ends together and hoping it would hold?

Mark

May 28, 2014 01:08AM
Correct. I used acetone to melt the pieces together and it held well, but was just not strong enough.

I used tinkercad to throw together another rod with a protruding piece/hole on other. Seems ok, will try print it out later tonight maybe.
Your image looks brilliant - nice locking piece.
May 28, 2014 04:37AM
Just standard FreeCAD, one of the advantages of using a solid modeler. That simple model took about a minute to do. Let us know how it turns out, good or bad. This looks interesting.
May 28, 2014 07:44AM
No way !

haha, that's a great idea kingodball smiling smiley I'm curious about how it works too.. let us know ?

I believe in all printed structure, but not with round rods.. more with linear guides .. with some felt and grease ! I'm sure it's possible. I want to try something but i'm blocked with the production actually.. it will come i'm sure . It's great to have a solution with minimum vitamins ( steppers,ramps,head, extruder )

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 28, 2014 06:41PM
grinning smiley more more more!!!
May 28, 2014 06:55PM
I originally printed in 0.2mm layers; bearing on rod was smooth - Noisy (layer rub) but very smooth!

BUT! Linear is a good idea!! I did not think of that - I could knock up some square bearings (slightly larger dia) and try insert them into the slots within your files.
I'm not very good with CAD (I'm using Tinkercad); probably good to learn more of a real editor but I like the online one so I can edit at work then tweak at home.

If you like, I'll be happy to try out whatever you need, just send over the idea (or file if you have them) and I'll put it together and throw it up here.

I'll post back with some results - Both round and linear if I can knock them up.
June 01, 2014 08:13PM
Updates!
All axis's move on printed rods and bearings.
Mostly all setup, need to wire it up and add the fishing line (still waiting for end stops).
Otherwise its nearly complete.

Very ugly but I won't clean the cables until its all wired up...

Edit: The odd yellow/brown colour on the rods/bearings is PTFE based grease, makes it extremely smooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 08:14PM by kingoddball.
Attachments:
open | download - SR Front.gif (80.2 KB)
open | download - SR 1.gif (86.4 KB)
open | download - SR 2.gif (87.9 KB)
open | download - SR 3.gif (92.5 KB)
open | download - SR 4.gif (91.9 KB)
June 01, 2014 08:35PM
I wonder how it's going to print.
June 01, 2014 09:20PM
Probably crap winking smiley
June 01, 2014 09:25PM
kingoddball
Probably crap winking smiley

Don't say that... If it doesn't print correctly we will call it "Artistic!" smiling smiley

I serious want to see a video when you get it going though...
June 01, 2014 09:29PM
Artistic! Love it!

I have a week off work (tomorrow) and I hope to get all axis moving via computer and possibly try get a single line printed (happy with a single line, single layer). Then I'll try print a basic hollow cube, just need to find some PLA, only have ABS (might just use this without a heatbed for a test).

Edit: I'm thinking of moving from the fishing line to the Rack and Pinion because it's going to strengthen the printed rods!
Also I like the look...

Open to opinions..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 09:34PM by kingoddball.
June 02, 2014 12:37AM
Rack! I haven't seen any reviews of it so far...
June 03, 2014 03:48AM
Update: (image attached)

Racks racks and racks!

Edit: I will post a current BOM sometime soon. I was very shocked how little I've used to build
this.
Currently about a dozen nuts and bolts and 1 threaded rod (cut). That's it. Will be less if Move back to fishing line.
I'm using the racks for two uses - movement and as a brace for the printed rods. Keeps them rigid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 03:54AM by kingoddball.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (122.1 KB)
June 03, 2014 04:24AM
so cool smiling smiley

Very impatient to see a video of it moving !! even if it's bad, it's solo interesting .. thank you .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login