Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK V J-Head Hot End

Posted by jbutj 
MK V J-Head Hot End
December 01, 2014 04:00PM
Hi im trying to install a MK V J-Head Hot End onto my smartrap 4.9.2 and with the printed part from the github page it doesnt seem to work (see photos) just wondering if anyone had the files for a mount for this hotend? Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_9880.JPG (303.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_9881.JPG (302 KB)
open | download - IMG_9882.JPG (284.8 KB)
Re: MK V J-Head Hot End
December 02, 2014 10:20AM
I designed something like this that I use for my printers. It should work. You can get it from thingiverse.

December 02, 2014 10:24AM
Thanks, ill let you know how it goes.
December 02, 2014 10:43PM
The Genie MK1 with a MK2 grooved nut fits the housing well.
Just a small amount to be removed from the printed part with a Dremel and she fits nicely.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
December 04, 2014 03:56AM
Since I don't have a Genie hot end I'm uploading the sketchup file so you can modify and share it. I think also you need to make the fan mount a little longer too so the air can it nozzle tip.
Attachments:
open | download - jhead fan.skp (574.8 KB)
December 04, 2014 10:06PM
The mount as stock is a bit too small for a real JHead but it does work if you clamp down on it and file or Dremel a bit away to make it work.. It's not opitimal so I modified one but after looking at Idanut's part I'd use that. It's better than the one I did. I opened up the groove mount a couple of mm but Idanut's is a more comprehensive mod. I'll print one out in a little bit.

Thanks Idanut.
December 05, 2014 04:46AM
Thanks for the help
December 05, 2014 04:47AM
Thanks for the help!
December 08, 2014 12:42PM
I think my design doesn't work with jhead. I only tested with aluhotend. I want to experiment with this for jhead. I think it will just fit.
December 09, 2014 03:34AM
ldanut
I think my design doesn't work with jhead. I only tested with aluhotend. I want to experiment with this for jhead. I think it will just fit.

After printing and installing one the fan shroud is a bit too long for a MK V JHead. I cut the bottom of the fan mount off with a bandsaw. The head groove mount fits well which was what the issue was with the part in Serge's dist.
December 09, 2014 09:14AM
I'm working on a new solution for JHead since I need one too. Also for aluhotend we need a dual fan solution. I had jams because fan started too late and I allways need to pay attention to start it before prints starts
December 09, 2014 03:33PM
Misian has an aluhead duct that attaches to the aluhead heat fins like the E3D. IIRC his preceded the E3D design. I got it on Thingiverse a year or so ago. I hooked mine up to a direct power connection so the fan is on all the time. It's the same thing I do now with the E3D. Ive got the stl here if you can't find it.

edit: I pushed one over to Github. The gcode probably won't do you any good but the stl and the scad file should.

[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 03:39PM by vegasloki.
December 10, 2014 12:25PM
Thanks I know this one. How do we combine this with a second fan blowing to nozzle tip and hot end mount? Whats the best software to do this kind of work?
December 10, 2014 02:27PM
ldanut
Thanks I know this one. How do we combine this with a second fan blowing to nozzle tip and hot end mount? Whats the best software to do this kind of work?

Two fans may be problematic due to weight. A hinged mount as on a Rework I think is a better option. See other thread for mount info and pics. If you want to run two fans run the hot end cooling fan from a direct power source. When the Reprap is on, the fan will be on. I would use the fan connection (the D terminal depending on the board config) and use the cooling feature in your slicer to determine the fan use to cool the part.
December 17, 2014 04:05AM
I worked on a JHead specific fan mount. This one should fix previous one issues.

December 17, 2014 04:07AM
Thanks that looks great! I'll print it tonight
December 18, 2014 05:04AM
I forgot the STL smiling smiley.
Attachments:
open | download - jheadfan_orig.stl (267.8 KB)
January 12, 2015 01:02PM
Hi, just wondering if you have the editable files that i could use? I want to customise your part if thats okay? Thanks
January 13, 2015 04:06AM
Sure my self I took what was already there and modified for my needs. You can find them here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login