Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Base Ideas?

Posted by jbutj 
New Base Ideas?
December 09, 2014 06:16AM
Im trying to make my Smartrap look more "professional". I wanted to use a base which isn't MDF. I was planning on designing a plastic one that i can print. has anyone designed anything like this? Thanks
Re: New Base Ideas?
December 09, 2014 09:21AM
MDF is good because is heavy. I'm planning to route the edges to make them round and to paint it in a shinny color smiling smiley. Also I want to glue together two plates of MDF to make it even heavier since on higher speeds its starts dancing on my table smiling smiley.
December 09, 2014 03:10PM
Melamine will work as well. For those not familiar it's an engineered wood core like MDF but with a laminate on one or two sides. The single side seems to work best as having a raw side down helps with the printer "walking". Here is a piece of 1/4" 2 side black melamine. It's available in white as well and for a Smartrap a 1/2" thick piece would be best. You can get it at most building supply stores, some have it in smaller pieces for shelving. It's also available at lumber suppliers that sell to the cabinet industry though you'll likely need to get a whole sheet. It's on my list to make some available cut to size as well as a basic drawing with dimensions for the base and the glass.

December 13, 2014 10:22PM
ldanut
MDF is good because is heavy. I'm planning to route the edges to make them round and to paint it in a shinny color smiling smiley. Also I want to glue together two plates of MDF to make it even heavier since on higher speeds its starts dancing on my table smiling smiley.

I added some rubber feet to mine and it stopped the noise a lot and stopped the moving on the bench altogether.
Simple to do and it looks more professional as well.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login