Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My SmartRap Build Blog

Posted by rcjoseb 
My SmartRap Build Blog
January 07, 2015 12:13PM
This is my first 3D printer and like my rc related videos, I plan on sharing what I learned on my youtube channel, rcjoseb. I am up to 14 videos (not published yet) so far and I have not even started building it yet!

I created a blog to keep everything in one place, including diagrams, manuals, parts lists, videos, etc. The blog is at [smartrapbuild.wordpress.com]

Thanks to everyone here so far for the info they have provided.

Jose
Re: My SmartRap Build Blog
February 18, 2015 12:19AM
Attached are the pics of my final build. My original build had too much play and not enough support for the Z axis. My goals were to:

1. Remove as much play as possible using better/newer bearings.
I purchased new bearings from sidewiderinc on Ebay and wow, what a difference. Bearings have no bind at all and run smoothly.

2. Go with a taller Z axis
For the Z axis, I went with a new 36" 8mm rod cut in half so the Z rods are now 18" each. With the hot end, I have about 8 inches of print height. The print area is 10" x 10".

3. Use little or no custom 3D printed parts.
No custom parts were printed. I just printed two extra bearing supports from the SmartFriends Thingiverse page for better glass support. All 3D printed parts are stock SmartRap parts.

4. Use parts available at any hardware store.
0.75" x 15" x 24" MDF.
0.5" schedule 40 PVC pipe and connectors for the frame parts and PLA reel holder.
Rustoleum Black 2X paint and primer spray paint.
3 gang electrical box to house RAMPS, fans, wires, etc.
0.75" split tube to house wires.
LED's from Hobbyking (already had them).
4-40 threaded rod, washers and nuts.
Gorilla brand super glue.

I really liked the way it came out. I might call it the IndustroRap or GrungRap or SteamPunkRap. Sooo many decisions ::-)

Jose
Attachments:
open | download - Back.png (458.6 KB)
open | download - Front.png (505.2 KB)
open | download - Left.png (361 KB)
open | download - Right.png (379.1 KB)
February 18, 2015 12:13PM
look nice
the picture is a bit dark
February 18, 2015 12:24PM
Thanks. Yes, the lighting in my studio sucks and my halogen work lamp burnt out :-( Will take better pictures as soon as I get the lighting issue worked out.
February 18, 2015 09:49PM
Looks good. Yeah, better lighting for the next pics please... Got some sample prints yet? Maybe a video? smiling smiley
February 18, 2015 10:01PM
Better pictures attached. The print quality is decent and I expect even better results with the Genie MK2. Video of printing coming very soon!

Jose
Attachments:
open | download - Back.jpg (47.9 KB)
open | download - Front.jpg (53.9 KB)
open | download - Left.jpg (49.6 KB)
open | download - Right.jpg (47.1 KB)
February 18, 2015 10:29PM
Much better. Thanks.
February 19, 2015 11:10AM
Here is a video of my SmartRap printing a 10 degree motor mount for my ZMR quad frame.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login