Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Define print area size and margins

Posted by rcjoseb 
Define print area size and margins
January 23, 2015 12:37AM
I buillt my SmartRap with longer rods for all axis and ended up with a 9.125" x 9.125" x 5.5" or 231.775mm x 231.775mm x 139.7mm print area. When I home all axis, the nozzle of the jhead ends up right at the edge of the glass and of course it cannot start a print there.

In Marlin, I believe I can set the print area size here:

// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 200
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 200
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 160
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

Can I use the minimum position setting for the X and Y positions so that the jhead starts to print a little bit away from the edge of the glass? Kind of like a margin oin a paper when printing.

Thanks,

Jose
Re: Define print area size and margins
January 25, 2015 07:25PM
Nope. That isn't a very good idea. I think you're just not going to be able to put parts at the edge of the build plate in your slicer software.
January 26, 2015 12:25AM
Thanks for the reply
March 19, 2015 12:25AM
Only because I just came across this myself, I will revive a dead post. If you haven't already figured it out you can set a print area in Repetier-host under printer settings, not only can you set a print area but you can set where that print bed begins. I wont stop the firmware from printing off the glass but should help with your slicing making it a bit more difficult to cause that behavior.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login