Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap just stops printing

Posted by rcjoseb 
Smartrap just stops printing
January 26, 2015 12:31AM
About 2 minutes into a print the smartrap just stops and the lcd turns off then comes back on. The fans connected next to the hotend heater wires stop as well so i am thinking there is a thermal shutdown?

And this is reallly weird. While the smartrap is off, if i move the x or y axis back and forth quicly the lcd blinks. Power feedback from one of the motors is powering up the ramps?

I had to be the weird build :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 12:32AM by rcjoseb.
Re: Smartrap just stops printing
January 26, 2015 05:49AM
The motors work as dynamos when you spin them by hand, which is why the lcd blinks.

Do you have a heated bed? Because it sounds like a polyfuse problem, and these are muuuch more common in you have a heated bed.
January 26, 2015 09:32AM
I suspected that the motors might be doing something like that, thanks.

No heated bed so i guess my DRV8255's are geting to hot. I have the steps per mm configured for 1/32 and have all the jumpers in place. May be I will try both adjusting the drivers and changing the config to 1/16.

Know of any good reference material/site with info on how to adjust the drivers?

Thanks for the info.

Jose
January 26, 2015 02:33PM
Then my bet is the 32 steps =) I haven't heard so far about anyone so far that have managed to setup a working 1/32 rig with RAMPS.
January 26, 2015 03:03PM
Funny, but I watched Tom Sanladere's video on drivers and stepper motors and he warned about 1/32 steps being too much for the 8 bit Arudino processor. I didn't listen :-)
January 29, 2015 12:48PM
After changing all axis to 1/16 stepping and changing the steps per mm, I still had issues printing. I checked the Vref on the DRV8825 trim pots and they were set to over 1.5V! No wonder the motors were stopping! I used the formulas from the RepRap Wiki (http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_stepper_driver_board) and was able to adjust the X, Y and Z Vref values to 0.60V which produced an ideal motor amp of 1.2. The motors have a rating of 1.7. I encountered some skipping in the extruder motor so I set that driver to 0.80V and everything works so far.

I can get a finished print now but the part came out a little oversized so I have to play with the extuder calibration a bit. It actually feeds 125mm if I tell it to feed 100mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 12:48PM by rcjoseb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login