Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mk2 heated bed problem

Posted by Hypnofrogs 
mk2 heated bed problem
April 04, 2015 03:54AM
So this is a problem and safety concern, at this point my heated bed is not usable and I think is now garbage.

I built the prusa I3 this week and finally got it printing and working, not calibrated but oh well.

The heated bed only works on half the bed most of the time and sometimes will work on both or the other half of the bed. I turned the bed up to 70C and it started to smoke, I looked under the bed and there was a literal arc of electricity burning the bed around the middle.

It now does this every time you turn it on, so it is decommissioned.

anyone know whats going on?
Re: mk2 heated bed problem
April 04, 2015 05:27AM
I'd say that your heat bed is now scrap, it should be removed immediately and never used again!

The questions I'd ask include:

What sort of heat bed is it?
Are you sure you wired it properly?
Were the soldered-on wires nice and tidy, and not contacting any other track on the heat bed?
Did it look scratched, marked or badly bent when you installed it? (Note: PCB heatbeds do usually come very slightly curved)
Was there anything under the heat bed that might have contacted it as it moved?

Apart from that - it might simply have been a faulty heat bed.
April 04, 2015 04:54PM
It is the MK2B dual power heat bed

I believe it was wired properly, I followed direction in this video heat bed at around 12:48.

The soldered wires were done flawlessly.

it didnt look scratched or marked, but yes had a slight curve as it should.

And there was nothing under my bed and the table.

I suppose I will e-mail the company i got it from and see if they will do anything about it,
April 13, 2015 11:28AM
Was there by chance, any remaining flux residue? Some flux is somewhat conductive. I learned this the hard way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login