Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about the Lasercut Mendel

Posted by ajsmcs 
Question about the Lasercut Mendel
May 03, 2010 11:00AM
I'm a 3rd Engineering student, and am considering attempting to build a Mendel. However, its a bit much for my budget. I noticed that there are "laser cut Mendel" parts for sale on eBay, at a much cheaper price than the ABS parts. Would it be possible (and feasible) to build a lasercut Mendel, then print out the ABS parts (the standard ones on the website) to directly replace the wooden parts with little to no modification of existing components? Would this even be feasible, or even necessary? Any help is appreciated. =)

(Also, I apologize if this question has already been asked.)
Re: Question about the Lasercut Mendel
May 03, 2010 02:46PM
Haven't built it myself but am interested in basing my wooden mendel off of the LaserCut Mendel.

[reprap.org]

Assuming that what you are looking at on ebay is the same as what is on the wiki it is a 1:1 part swap. So yes build it print out some parts and then assemble a new mendel with plastic printed parts. A couple things I noticed though:
-Look for post processing (see wiki to make sure you have the necessary equipment if it is not already done)
-Extruder parts (often not part of build kits, just be aware)
May 03, 2010 03:24PM
I'm nearly positive the measurements would be the same, so you could swap in the plastic parts.

But then you'd have a nice pile of lasercut parts left over. I'd suggest you make a new Mendel with them once you're done. grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 03, 2010 04:25PM
Thanks! Thats good to know.

I agree with your suggestion. If I can get the first one to work, a second would definitely be necessary. ;-)
May 03, 2010 06:59PM
Try "borrowing" a set of parts here once you've got everything else working.
[forums.reprap.org]

Also, what tooling do you have?
[reprap.org]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login