Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Choking

Posted by Katai 
Extruder Choking
June 19, 2010 08:58PM
I'm having some issues with my Makerbot extruder controller, and I need help figuring out what's going on here. So here's the rundown.

I start up my RepRap and Connect to RepSnapper.
I run the extruder from RepSnapper.
The stepper motor on the extruder spins fine for 2-3 seconds. After that, it starts choking. It jigs back and forth, and loses all of its tension.

Here's a video: [www.youtube.com]

I've been told that the extruder controller is overheating, and I have need to get another stepper driver, wire it into the extruder controller somehow, and connect that to the stepper motor on my extruder. I don't even know where to start with that setup.

Anyone have any ideas? I bought the electronics fully assembled so I could avoid having to mess with the electronics too much, but it seems like I don't have much of a choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 08:58PM by Katai.
Re: Extruder Choking
June 20, 2010 02:36AM
If it is overheating you need to reduce the PWM setting to reduce the average current. It is set by an M code in the g-code and setting it to zero allows you to adjust it with the preset pot on the board.

If you want to use a separate stepper controller you just connect to the two I2C lines on the motherboard that normally go the extruder controller. They aren't used as I2C they are just step and direction lines. The extruder controller is emulating a stepper controller.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login