Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More Lasercut Y-Axis Questions

Posted by blktoptrvl 
More Lasercut Y-Axis Questions
December 12, 2010 08:59PM
(1) How does the wooden gear lock onto the motor shaft? Mine just spins. I was thinking of getting a brass colar with a set screw and then gluing the wood gear to the colar.

(2) Am I the only one who had to remove one of the motor mounting screws from the build because it interferes with the belt travel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 09:00PM by blktoptrvl.
Re: More Lasercut Y-Axis Questions
December 12, 2010 09:30PM
1) I used a couple of drops of super glue placed on the shaft before sliding on the pulley. Be careful not to let it drip back to the motor. You want to keep it held so that any extra glue runs down the shaft and away from the motor until it dries. If you only use a drop or two, you should be able to break it free with a flat head screwdriver if you need to and yet it will not slip.

2) Unless the belt is dragging on something as it moves, that should be fine the way you have it. Otherwise, route the belt over top of the lower bearing, then it shouldn't hit. My kit had the wrong screws for my motor, so I ended up using ones with smaller heads but I think it should still work for you.
December 12, 2010 10:15PM
I think my kit has the same screw problems. I didn't have any that were short enough so I had to use 4 washers stacked on each screw to be able to get it tight. If I was able to put in a screw with just one washer I think I wouldn't have the clearance problem. But the screws bottom out. Guess I will order shorter repacements from the web.
December 12, 2010 10:57PM
I wouldn't go doing that. You'll probably pay $7 just in shipping for all of 4 screws. You don't really need all 4 screws. Heck, even two would be plenty.

The problem with my screws was that the motor had threads cut for a 4-40 threaded screw, but I was given M3 threaded screws to mount it with. I ended up using screws from my own stash which had shorter Philips heads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login