Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

z-motor question

Posted by bajasam96 
z-motor question
June 24, 2011 04:47PM
So it seems that the conventional z-motor mounting for the prusa mendel leaves the z-motors held in with tape/gravity.

Is this right? Has anyone tried some spring loaded bolts such as mounting the bed or on the wades extruder? That way it can flex under binding, but sill be held in place a bit firmer.
Re: z-motor question
June 24, 2011 06:56PM
The STL file of the z motor mount has 4 holes that are used to bolt the motor on. I don't think you want or need springs on them since you need them to be fixed. The z-position depends on that. It's enough that the bed has springs. Actually, instead of the bed or the z motor, I think it would be better to put springs on the extruder mount.
June 25, 2011 10:36PM
Prusa does not require fasteners on the Z-axis, unless you have some binding in the PLA bushings. Gravity is your friend. Because the stock couplings on the Prusa do not flex, there needs to be some wiggle room there when the motor is turning, otherwise you might get binding or reduce the life of the motor bearings if there is too much misalignment.
June 26, 2011 11:09AM

Because the stock couplings on the Prusa do not flex, there needs to be some wiggle room there when the motor is turning

I have the solution for that here: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]. My z-motors are bolted down.

I don't use any springs as it tends to make the bed wobbly. If the machine tries to drive the nozzle through the bed the captive nuts in the x-end brackets will pop out before any major damage occurs.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login