Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there an idiots/beginners guide?

Posted by JoeDaStudd 
Is there an idiots/beginners guide?
September 09, 2011 11:57AM
Hi all,

I only learnt about RepRap a few days ago. Its project and concept which I'd love to get into.

I've been reading through the wiki, manuals and these forums, but its taking forever to get a full list of parts as well as some other basic information.
Don't get me wrong there is a lot of documentation about which is great, its just spread out.

Is their an idiots/beginners guide or something similar available?

Some of the questions are (based on Prusa as its the easiest to build):-
*What are the core electrical items needed? (stepper motor drivers, Arduino MEGA, etc)
*What's the difference between each controller pcb (RAMPS, Gen 3, Gen 7, etc)?
*What's the running cost of a standard RepRap? (consumables and short life parts)
*Is there a list of recommended or ranked retailers or users for parts? (the wiki just says do your research...)

Thanks,

Joe
Re: Is there an idiots/beginners guide?
September 09, 2011 12:53PM
JoeDaStudd
*What are the core electrical items needed? (stepper motor drivers, Arduino MEGA, etc)

Prusa Mendel

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 09, 2011 07:24PM
[garyhodgson.com]

That solves the physical assembly

Prusa is the way to go as a first timer

You need a set of plastics (often includes an extruder body)

Rods as per wiki or bought as a kit

Same on the nuts and bolts front

608 bearings (but a pack of 10 or so as they come in useful)

Timing belts (also available in a pack)

Motors (5 nema 17 see a[reprap.org])

Electronics wise ive only seen and got RAMPS 1.2 (people say RAMPS is the one for future expansion) probably 1.3 or 1.4 now

if your not in need of a heated bed (PLA only then) Gen 6/7 is an all in one solution

Rob
September 09, 2011 08:29PM
I've been digging quite a bit through the wiki, forums, and source websites and put together a list of packages/kit/parts along with prices and sources. I've posted the info earlier today here (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,97272) where I'm currently seeking feedback.

It might help you out with what you need from the Prusa BOM vs packages available. I think I've listed a source for everything in the Prusa BOM and Wade's extruder other than maybe some springs.
September 10, 2011 05:31AM
September 10, 2011 06:19AM
It's hard to tell where to start as everybody has his own budget and requirements. In the end it pays off to have considered different options. So reading a lot is a good thing here.

Some of the questions are (based on Prusa as its the easiest to build):-

- 4x NEMA 17 stepper motor with enough torque
- A electronics solution (RAMPS/GEN7 etc.) see below
- A hotend including thermistor and heating resistor
- A power supply with enough watt (400W) and 16A on at least one 12V rail is a good start
- optionally a heated bed
- stepper drivers (pololu / stepstick)

RAMPS uses the Arduino MEGA, the best option imho. More I/O ports, good for future expansions
Gen 7 is useful if you want to do it yourself (including etching) and has a cleaner design (larger, less chaotic) than RAMPS
Gen3 is a bit obsolete/outdated. Don't go for that one
Gen6, haven't used that one. Don't think it compares anywhere near to RAMPS. Doesn't have separate stepper drivers, which means much trouble when one blows up.

*What's the running cost of a standard RepRap? (consumables and short life parts)

- PLA >= 10€ / 500g
- Timing belts (10€ / 3 months)
- PTFE oiling (4¤ / can)

*Is there a list of recommended or ranked retailers or users for parts? (the wiki just says do your research...)

You should really do some research yourself here. I would be prejudiced winking smiley

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
September 12, 2011 06:47AM
Thanks for the replies.

rhmorrison, I've read that wiki page about half a dozen times. Its more about the structural build then anything.

ijmok, thanks good to know which parts its best to buy extras of.

cisox, brilliant thread that will help a massive amount.

Traumflug, I wish I'd have found that article from the start, its still missing a few things but its a nice introduction.

brupje, wonderful post. You pretty much answered most of my questions.

I'm sorry if my post seemed lazy to some people, it wasn't the intention.

Before I posted I read as much as I figured was needed to get a build off the ground. I'd had everything noted down, a list of retailers, parts, prices, etc.
Only at the last minute to realize I was missing some key parts (under the title electronics). After more research things went from looking relatively simple to much, much more complex (not to mention the cost increased).

So I figured I'd check if there was a beginners/idiots guide.
Hence this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 06:49AM by JoeDaStudd.
September 13, 2011 01:00AM
Can somebody please pin this thread (or a précis of it) somewhere prominent? I found the feedback very useful, and have followed the links and printed / bookmarked a few for future reference.

I am another "RepRap Virgin" (building my first Prusa as I write this), and I have also been somewhat overwhelmed by all the options and advice available on the Wiki, in the Forums, etc. I guess this is just part of the very essence of RepRap, which is SUPPOSED to be about self-replication and mutation, but it does make it rather confusing for a newbie who just wants to build the cheapest, simplest serviceable RepRap, with upgrade paths also available.

One issue I have had is that in trying to find out about which [insert element name here - electronics / extruder / hot end / stepper motor / software / firmware / etc] I should use, you can end up trying to follow so many threads that you end up much better informed, but ultimately none the wiser. What would be REALLY handy would be some sort of summary table(s) showing a list of the options available, pros and cons, what works, what doesn't work (and why). Probably a pipe-dream to even wish for this, but still ...

I'm trying to contribute in my own small way, by blogging on my own build experience - readers can assume that I will write about everything that I have trouble with, and how I ultimately resolve the issues (assuming I do in fact ultimately manage to build a successfully operating machine!), and if I gloss over something, it is because I had no particular issues.

I think what is needed is a "Dummies Guide to the Dummies Guides to RepRap"! smiling smiley

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
September 15, 2011 02:05AM
There was a BOM list somewhere...dunno what that means but something to do with ...lulzbot...or something, it seemed to have a good list.

But here goes my suggestion..

- Basic frame. (Nuts and bolts set)
- Prusa plastic set with linear bearing pieces (I just built this PLA bushing thingie and i regret not having the linear bearing set, and buy GOOD plastics, nophead makes excellent stuff, sells on ebay)
- Bipolar 4 wire nema17 motors (5 motors = X,Y,2xZ,extruder, i bought from ebay, 30 dollars or so in all)
- Extruder (I bought mine from arcol.hu, bought unassembled, buy the 200k or 100k thermistors from there too, and the hobbed bolt)
- Ramps 1.3 kit (I bought unassembled)
- Pololu stepper motor drivers (4 pieces, unassembled)
- Arduino mega, 2560, from ebay, 22-25 dollars, included USB cable
- Bearings (just buy set of ten somewhere)
- T5 belts (kevlar or metal reinforced, set from ebay for example)
- 12V power source that is capable of pushing lots of ampere smiling smiley

Software, the easiest, or that I was told, is to use:

Install Arduino 0022 IDE from arduino.cc, drivers for arduino mega are in arduino -> drivers
Pronterface install
Sprinter firmware, from kliment, edit configuration.h file according to your settings, upload to arduino mega,

Plug in the +12 now, make sure that plus is plus and minus is a minus.. smiling smiley

Start pronterface, and then...I dunno I am at that point now smiling smiley This is just my "story" so far.

IRC is really helpful lots of helpful people there, here is a link to irc, this way you don't have install an irc client and wonder what server to use: [webchat.freenode.net]

Yours, MK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 02:28AM by MikeyK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login