Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motors refusing to behave

Posted by shaunf 
Stepper Motors refusing to behave
October 24, 2011 05:46AM
Hi,

Im nearing the end of my Prusa Mendel build and have come to install all of the electronics. I have a RAMPS 1.3 board attached to a Arduino MEGA 1280. The board talks to the host software (Repsnapper) fine and there have been no problems so far. (Firmware is Sprinter)

However. I currently only have one axis working, and even that in one direction.

Z Axis:

It moves up fine, doesnt miss any steps and is very smooth, but refuses to move down. I have the endstop connected (Mechanical) so as far as I can see, thats not the problem. I connected the Z axis leads into the Extruders stepper driver, as that works completely and the Z moved up and down.

X Axis:

I try to jog the axis and the motor engages, and then sits their twitching and pulsing, even when the endstop is pressed. Connecting it to the Extruder makes it work, once again

Y Axis:

This was working in one direction, as has since stopped for an unknown reason. It now sits and twitches like the X.Once again, connecting it to the extruder makes it work again

I have tried changing to 1/8th stepping compared to 1/16 but it made no difference

Thankyou in advance
Re: Stepper Motors refusing to behave
October 24, 2011 01:49PM
I would try inverting the endstop polarity in the Sprinter firmware. If the motors only move in one direction, then the firmware probably thinks that the endstop is closed.
October 25, 2011 10:20AM
I have managed to track down the bulk of the problems to connection issues, with the PCB headers being shaken loose. I am on my way to Maplin to get some Molex connectors. Hopefully this will work better
October 26, 2011 03:39PM
The connectors are working however I have 3 ruined stepper drivers as well. The one that is working was transplanted through all of the axis connections and worked, except the Z. The Z will still only go one way. As last time the endstops are connected

What is happening? confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login