Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did I just bust my Gen6?

Posted by Arc 
Arc
Did I just bust my Gen6?
April 09, 2012 06:46PM
Building my first reprap, and been dreading the electronics from day 1 (I'm not very good with them). I finished building the actual machine a month ago and it's been collecting dust. Tried to hook it up to the computer today after downloading a couple of the recommended calibration programs (repsnapper and replicatorg).
When originally plugging it in I got no response from the computer about devices. The calibration programs timed out when 'connecting to the machine.' I've got the circuit board plugged into a 12 Volt 5 Amp power supply.
Re: Did I just bust my Gen6?
April 09, 2012 07:42PM
What type of computer, what operating system, Linux, MAC, Windows.

If windows did you install the ftdi drivers for the USB port? Once you connect the machine in repsnapper do you select the correct port and tell it to connect?

The computer doesn't respond until you tell it to look at a certain port well under windows anyway don't know about Linux or MAC

April 09, 2012 08:11PM
I have Windows 7. You were right about the driver, didn't know I had to do that.
So I started the process of installing the FTDI driver, and while going through the guide, I got stuck on page 7 where it has me go to Control Panel>Devices and Sound>Device Manager. Then select "Other Devices." I don't have an "Other Devices."
April 10, 2012 11:47AM
Maybe it's already installed. What do you have listed under com ports in device manager?

try printrun, it worked much better for my gen6.

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

when you load that, does it say something like "COM6@250000" in the top corner?
Arc
April 10, 2012 06:35PM
andy-net Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's already installed. What do you have
> listed under com ports in device manager?
>
> try printrun, it worked much better for my gen6.
>
> [koti.kapsi.fi]
>
> when you load that, does it say something like
> "COM6@250000" in the top corner?

Just a "Communications Port (COM1)" in device manager.

For printrun only COM1 is available.
VDX
April 11, 2012 03:00AM
... hmm, COM1 is usually the mouse or touchpad - seems the PC hasn't recognized the FTDI ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 11, 2012 04:42AM
what operating system do you have? I'l try and do some screenshots.

is the board plugged straight into the PC? or through a hub? if so, take the hub out the equation.

also, disconnect the 5v power supply and everything else from the gen6 (except usb) and give it another go. I cant remember if th FTDI works just from the 5v on the USB. having a disparity in the 5v voltage on the USB and the 5v psu causes problems with my sanguinololu, the gen6 was more forgiving though to be honest.

let me knowhow it goes
Arc
April 11, 2012 02:52PM
andy-net Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what operating system do you have? I'l try and do
> some screenshots.
>
> is the board plugged straight into the PC? or
> through a hub? if so, take the hub out the
> equation.
>
> also, disconnect the 5v power supply and
> everything else from the gen6 (except usb) and
> give it another go. I cant remember if th FTDI
> works just from the 5v on the USB. having a
> disparity in the 5v voltage on the USB and the 5v
> psu causes problems with my sanguinololu, the gen6
> was more forgiving though to be honest.
>
> let me knowhow it goes

I have Windows 7.
The board is plugged straight into the PC, no hubs.
No response with just plugging the Gen6 in through a USB port with no power supply connected.
Thanks a lot for the replies.
April 12, 2012 07:25AM
does your computer make that two tone sound when you plug the device in (with the speakers on and the volume up)? or does it not do anything at all?
April 16, 2012 07:10PM
Gen6 needs a 12V power supply, with at least 5A, or at least 20A if you have the version of Gen6 with heated bed. It isn't powered off the USB. You'll get some green LEDs when it is powered up, whether it is connected to USB or not.
You'll need to install the FTDI drivers for it to be recognised: [www.ftdichip.com]
And don't use Repsnapper or Replicatorg, they don't work properly with Gen6 because of the Marlin firmware, use Printrun: [github.com]
There's a pre-compiled (ie easier to install) version here: [koti.kapsi.fi]
A lot of questions about setting up a Gen6 are answered here: [www.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login