Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved] MendelMax Build - questions on sourcing parts

Posted by 3D2B 
[Solved] MendelMax Build - questions on sourcing parts
April 22, 2012 06:31AM
As my Prusa Mendel continues to misbehave, thought I'd give it detention while I build a MendelMax.
Following in the tracks of RichRap's blog RichRap's Blog , I've planned these amendments to the "standard" MendelMax design:

Increase the x axis length by 80mm (which means longer x rails & x timing belt)
Instead of 8mm threaded rod on the z axis, used 6mm instead
Instead of aliminium bed use mdf (just initially, likely to change later)
I'll source the extrusion from KJN here in the UK, which means M6 screws instead of M5
Use LM8UUs throughout.

These are the parts I have yet to source, with quantities and some questions:

10mm M6-.80 screws, bag of 100
M3 washers qty 20

M6 nuts, box of 100 (Thin nuts preferred) 1
M3-.50, 10mm long 20
20-25mm M6 screws 8
M6 Washers, box of 100 84
6mm threaded rod, 1M 1
M6-30mm screws 4
M8 Nuts qty 8 Q1 should these be M6 to match the z axis threaded rod?
M8 screw or bolt, 25-30mm long 2 Q2 should these be M6 to match the z axis threaded rod?
M8 washers 4 Q3 should these be M6 to match the z axis threaded rod?

Silver steel (aka drill rod) for x axis: 520mm
Silver steel (aka drill rod) for y axis: 420mm
Silver steel (aka drill rod) for z axis: 405mm Q4 Is it worth paying extra for precision ground rails?

608ZZ Bearings 7
8mm Thrust Bearing 2 Q5 should these be 6mm to match the z axis threaded rod?

Linear Bushings 12 Q6 My guess is these are the same as the basic PLA bushings used on the Prusa is that right ?
(in which can I can ignore & use LM8UUs)

Z Shaft couplers 2

GT2 Belt x axis (8mm) 1
GT2 Belt y axis (8mm) 1

GT2 Pulleys 2

Wade's Idler Stud qty1 Q7 Is this the shaft part of a bolt that the idler bearing spins on?
1inch heat proof spacers qty 4 Q8 What exactly are these & where do they go?

After I've finallised the BOM, I need to order. One or two sources for me are better than say half a dozen. I'm based in the UK. Much of this is standard hardware, available most places, but if you have any recommendations that would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edit:-

Ok I figured the answers out, Q1 - 3 obvious, the rest by cross reference to the googledocs BOM for the MendelMax.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 03:15PM by 3D2B.

Prusa Mendel /Parcan Mk 2/1280 RAMPS 1.4/PC XP OS/Pronterface/Slic3r

In the UK, down south & over to the left you'll find the West of England RUG.
For details, visit tiny.cc/woereprap or tiny.cc/woerug
Re: [Solved] MendelMax Build - questions on sourcing parts
April 22, 2012 10:21PM
Hi Mike

I dont think you need the thrust bearings if you are making the MendelMax 1.5
Where are you getting the GT2 Belt (8mm) I have only seen 6 or 9 mm.

Jonas
April 23, 2012 09:05AM
You still need M4 or m5 t-nuts for most of the frame assembly - The M6 bolts are only needed for the tapped ends as the KJN aluminium can't be tapped with M5. I would look at max 1.5 and build along those lines.
You should not need any M6 nuts at all, so don't buy 100 of them.

If I get a chance this week I will try to put up a UK BOM for mendelmax 1.5

[richrap.blogspot.com]
April 23, 2012 04:37PM
I hadn't heard of MendelMax 1.5 until now, looking at the BOM for 1.5 it refers to laser cut parts. At present I dont have access to a laser cutter. Also I have some LM8UUs to use up & in the MM 1.5 comments Kludgineer isn't currently doing RP for those. So I'll stick with plan A. I do like the idea of having the Z steppers at the bottom.

Jonas I havent yet sourced the GT2 & pretty much cribbed from the online BOM. Having read this thread: about belts & pulleys it suggests the jury is still out, so I might just go T2.5.

Rich thanks for the tip off, I have 100 M4 T-nuts on order from KJN. I take it either M6 bolts or screws are ok for the tapped ends? I can cut down from 100.to maybe 20 for the build.

Mike

Prusa Mendel /Parcan Mk 2/1280 RAMPS 1.4/PC XP OS/Pronterface/Slic3r

In the UK, down south & over to the left you'll find the West of England RUG.
For details, visit tiny.cc/woereprap or tiny.cc/woerug
April 24, 2012 11:05AM
So are the T2.5 cheaper than the GT2? whats the bennefit of choosing this over the GT2

Jonas
April 24, 2012 02:45PM
jonasl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So are the T2.5 cheaper than the GT2? whats the
> bennefit of choosing this over the GT2

Only thinking of T2.5 as I already have that on my Prusa, so would have some 'swapability' if needed.
I dont know the relative merits, would be worth looking to see whats been posted elsewhere, maybe post to ask if you cant find any info.

Mike
April 25, 2012 07:39AM
Rich that would be great if you could push a UK BOM up for the 1.5,

Mine is about 40% of the way through printing the 1.5 pieces,

The holding spot is the intension to up the X&Y bars to 10mm,

I like the retension system for the Max1.5 X ends so ill possibly go with that and add some meat so i can put in 10mm rod's

They have uped the Z to 10 alredy and are now useing unconstrined Acme Leads Screws, im thinknig i might change this to 6mm rod.

Mike - im intent on printing sometihng to hold the Y axis up, some kind of block bolted back with mouning holes for the smooth rods and some tennons i think

Rob
April 29, 2012 01:58PM
ijmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Mike - im intent on printing sometihng to hold the
> Y axis up, some kind of block bolted back with
> mouning holes for the smooth rods and some tennons
> i think
>

Rob,

That sounds interesting, any chance of a pic when it's done? - I'm all for copying good ideas!
I'll probably stay with 8mm rails, at least for the x axis, the idea being to have extruders interchangable Prusa / MM.

I have much of the hardware now, but not the rails, which I'll try to source locally before looking online.

Mike
May 12, 2012 06:54AM
Hi Mike,

No pics yet, College has meant a self imposed ban on booting mine for the last month sad smiley

once all my work is handed in on the 22nd ill get cracking again,

Came across this:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Which mounts electronics under the bed on the 1.0 design,

The 1.5 mounts the Y bars a tad higher by design but i can see a reason not to do a little mash up of the 2.

Hopefully when ive finished the CAD design of my 1.5 ill post it up its a bit of an odderty due to the unique space i rep rap on, so the bed is looking lit it will end up 450 x 280 ish

I've designed some Y holders but they may not be printable yet, so ill refrain from posting them until i know a little more

Same goes with the rest of the Y axis, ive got some ideas i want to see what they look like in CAD prior to going any further smiling smiley

Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login