Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-stepper issues

Posted by djamwolfe 
Z-stepper issues
June 16, 2012 11:38AM
I finally got all of my electronics and steppers wired last night, and had a great time "air printing" some items. Everything seemed to be working well, i had calculated steps/mm and everything. I let it go through a few prints and decided to call it a night. (BTW I have a nerf gun printed in air if anyone wants to buy winking smiley)
This morning I cleaned my workspace and wanted to do one more "air print" just for fun. However for some reason my Z stepper motors which are wired in parallel are turning in opposite directions.... Nothing has changed from last night except I reversed the connection for the Y axis. if I give the stepper a turn by hand when it is moving it corrects itself only to reverse again on the next move.
I'm stumped, please help...

Devon
Re: Z-stepper issues
June 16, 2012 11:54AM
Check the connections, it looks like one of the coils is disconnected.
June 16, 2012 11:54AM
If the direction is indeterminant it usually means only one coil is being driven. Either a bad connection or a burnt out driver.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 16, 2012 12:01PM
thanks guys, I am now regretting using solid wire as opposed to stranded -- I knew this was going to be a problem, Ill check the connections and report back.
Devon
June 16, 2012 12:13PM
You guys rock!! I would have spent hours trying to figure this out. Bad solder joint in the connector housing, the wire was just sitting there and must have come dislodged when I moved the machine.

Devon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login