Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley Build: Y Axis Missing or Adding Steps

Posted by wje200 
Huxley Build: Y Axis Missing or Adding Steps
June 23, 2012 06:14PM
Things have gone pretty well so far in building my Huxley kit but now I am on to the first print and am stuck.

There is a problem with the Y axis not stepping correctly.
After 2 to 3 layers the Y seems to lose or gain a couple of steps.
Here is a photo showing the effect

I decided to check it by just re-positioning the Y axis from the printer interface and sure enough at high speed the stepper misses steps. Slowing it down seems to cure the problem. So I decided to plug it into the X axis plug on the control board and it does not miss steps at any speed. This suggests that the Y stepper and its wiring are OK.
I have adjusted the voltage setting on the Sanguinololu board in the hope that a different voltage (from the 0.4v it is set to) will cure the problem. All to no avail. I also noticed that the motor runs much smoother and quieter when fitted to the X driver than it does when fitted to its own Y driver.

So I can only conclude that there must be something wrong with the driver for the Y stepper motor.

Any suggestions as to what else I could check? Has anyone encountered a similar problem and discovered a cure?

Thanks

Will
Re: Huxley Build: Y Axis Missing or Adding Steps
June 23, 2012 10:55PM
Try swapping the drivers for X and Y, and see if the problem transfers to the X axis. If so, and increasing the pot doesn't help, you may have a bad driver. Luckily they are easy to replace and not expensive.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Re: Huxley Build: Y Axis Missing or Adding Steps
June 24, 2012 05:07AM
Thank you for that Cameron. I swapped just the driver pcbs (didn't realise that they would just unplug) and sure enough the fault transferred to the X axis. Also the rough sounding steps transferred with it whereas the Y axis is now very smooth.

Here is a picture of another test print which confirms

So I'd better go and buy another one.

Many thanks

Will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login