Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with the frame jigging- Help! smiling smiley

Posted by Rhys 
Trouble with the frame jigging- Help! smiling smiley
September 29, 2012 01:01AM
Hi all!
I've recently started constructing a Mendel Prusa V2 and have all the frame together and I am now up to the part where I need to tighten the frame up true and square and all that good stuff.

Here is where I encountered a problem- The page on constructing the frame vertices says that I need 3 x 400mm threaded rods for each triangle, yes?

So I carefully cut 6 of these and install them- now that it wants me to jig up the frame, I am finding that I am going to need to cut these rods down if I have any hope of getting the correct 290mm and 234mm spaces between plastic parts- I wouldn't have thought this necessary?
But the protruding rods on the outside of the plastic are going to intersect long before I get the desired 290mm and 234mm spaces. sad smiley

I am not sure what is going on here...? can anyone help me out at all? The reprapped parts are approx 35mm wide at the hole sites if this helps at all- I am fairly confused as to what is happening here.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Trouble with the frame jigging- Help! smiling smiley
September 29, 2012 01:52AM
So No thoughts at all? Should I cut them down to 370 as in the V1 build?
September 29, 2012 01:55AM
Hello,

The normal lenght of these rods is 371 mm not 400 winking smiley
But you can use the 400 mm ones. But you need take other lenght between the parts then so that you have a correct triangle.

The pos side of the lenght is that you will be able to print a litle bit higher than a standard prusa winking smiley

Charlie

www.facebook.com/Charlies3DCreations
September 29, 2012 02:01AM
So, as long as all my sides are the same length it should not matter what size they are? Is this correct? Thank so much for the reply Charlie!
September 29, 2012 02:04AM
Hello,

Yes indeed but you need to make sure that you place your support threaded rod for the verticale smooth rods in the middle. SO that lengt they will give you will be to short becaus you use a biger triangle.

But watch out forgot one thing, your smoothe rods for the y axis will be to short for your triangle. So you need to choose use the biger triangle and make other smooth rods or you need to cut your triangle to the right size and you don't need to chage the lengt then.

Alle the rest will be the same normaly winking smiley
September 29, 2012 02:08AM
Fantastic! Thanks again Charlie! Well I am certainly glad that I didn't cut the smooth rods yet! winking smiley I will make sure to cut them to an appropriate size, I am glad that this will work!

Rhys.
September 29, 2012 02:12AM
Yes and its better becaus you have biger hight to print then winking smiley
But also check if your threaded rod for the y axis will be long enoug.

But i am forgetting one more thing :p
your smoothrods for the printbed will be to short also so you need to fix that 2 :p

so you need to check your smoothrods for the heatbed and your vertical smoothrod and threaded rod

charlie

sorry for the long and not simple answer but i'm just awake :p

so if you have more questions let me know
September 29, 2012 02:26AM
Thanks Charlie! No problem, I'm quite glad you are awaketongue sticking out smiley
I actually already have another one- if my width of frame is the same- so the usual 294mm. Would I have to adjust the Y-Axis smooth rods then?
September 29, 2012 11:06PM
Crap- sorry I meant the X-axis! My bad!
September 29, 2012 11:50PM
No they stay the same winking smiley
September 30, 2012 02:43AM
Rhys
My bad!

I believe that what you want to say is "My error!".

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login