Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pulley for y-axis / length of y-motor shaft

Posted by dslc 
Pulley for y-axis / length of y-motor shaft
May 28, 2012 02:38PM
Hi all. I'm having issues with the pulley gear attached to my y-axis motor. The timing belt is slipping off the end. I was hoping to turn the pulley around (to have the part with the grub screw on the outside of the shaft), but the shaft is not long enough to do that.

I was thinking of disassembling the threaded rod and removing the M8 bolt to the right of the motor bracket (see photo). Any suggestions?

Note also that the shaft is not exactly parallel to the threaded rod (is being pulled inwards slightly). I didn't think the belt tension was high enough as it is - let alone too high.
Attachments:
open | download - pulley1.jpg (345.2 KB)
Re: Pulley for y-axis / length of y-motor shaft
May 28, 2012 04:17PM
You are not the first to have this problem, there are a number of solutions. Your quickest one is to use some tie wrap to pull the motor back to parallel. Loop it round the M8 rod and the motor and pull it to close the gap before the two.

You might find that will be sufficient for you. But there are better designs available. Here is mine

My files are available on thingiverse

I combined two basic ideas. One what is called a torsion box.

Lanthans Example

I also constrain the other end of the axle.
Re: Pulley for y-axis / length of y-motor shaft
May 28, 2012 05:17PM
Cheers. The cable-tie certainly seems to have helped the problem - at least temporarily.

The more permanent solutions yourself and Lanthan designed look great. I need to get machine actually printing properly before experimenting with those sort of things though sad smiley.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 05:25PM by dslc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login