Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting the RepRap parts to start my own build

Posted by tkooger 
Getting the RepRap parts to start my own build
August 17, 2012 04:41PM
Hi I was wondering how I can go about getting the gifted parts so that I can go about building my own 3d printer, so I can get my entire office of geeks on the 3d printer band wagon. Lots of people here in my office that want 3d printers and I thought I would be a good test subject for them. you know get a build and be able to provide them with the gift parts too.

I live in London, Ontario Canada so if anyone wants to give me a start that would be great.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 04:41PM by tkooger.
Re: Getting the RepRap parts to start my own build
August 17, 2012 05:24PM
Typically you can look in the FOR SALE sections of the forum, there are many people out there selling the printed parts for a Prusa Mendel, MendelMax or Orca. Usually the parts for a 3D printer use up a full spool of filament which is about $50 / spool. I've not heard of, in recent memory, people offering free parts. Maybe if someone had a buddy willing to print the parts for the cost of the materials but you have to figure in the time it takes to print.

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of people selling parts for not much more than the typical cost of the material, usually about $60 for a full set of printed parts. To be clear, the printed parts are probably one of the cheapest components of the printer. You should budget anywhere from $500 to $1200 for a full build (depending on how crazy you go).

In summary, I doubt you are going to find anyone willing to just give away parts, at least not until the price of filament drops substantially. Asking someone to give up $50 and two full days of babysitting a printer for goodwill is a bit rich. I don't want to dampen your spirit on this project, its really fun and addictive. There are many ways to save a buck when building your printer (scrapping together the linear motion components from printers, etc.) so have at it and feel free to ask for other ideas on scavenging the "Vitamins" you need.
August 17, 2012 07:48PM
That's cool I will look around for some that are for sale, looking at the plans for the printer; I was wondering that if I was to say double the length of all the rods I would be able to print something really big and I am very excited.
August 17, 2012 08:42PM
The original idea some years ago was to gift a set of parts, then the person that received the parts would gift two more sets once they got running, and so on. In theory it is a good idea, but in practice it fell apart pretty quickly.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 17, 2012 11:36PM
I've got some parts laying around. The vertices are not printed, they are cut and drilled from composite decking material. The other parts will be printed but not top quality. Should all be functional. Not a complete set, but with the vertices and a few other parts you could get started, then maybe find someone to sell you the missing pieces. Might save you some money. If you want them PM me an address. And I have an older Gen7 board without drivers you could have if you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 11:38PM by bryanandaimee.
hey check the MixShop.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login