Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

abs zits and extraneous material

Posted by mpmumau 
abs zits and extraneous material
December 17, 2012 09:42PM
Hello everyone. I built a MendelMax a few weeks ago, and I've more or less been getting successful prints for a while (took a while to get it tuned at least to the point where it is), but I've been getting a weird problem with prints lately, and I'm not sure what I've done to cause it. I also haven't been successful at solving it, so I thought I'd pray to the RepRap gods on this forum to see if you guys might be able to identify what might cause the problem I'm having (picture attached).

Thanks in advance for any advice as to why I've been getting these "zits" on ABS prints (they're more like tendrils of excess plastic that seem to be growing from where two pieces of geometry meet; not sure how else to describe it, but hopefully the picture helps.)
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (384.5 KB)
Re: abs zits and extraneous material
December 18, 2012 01:06PM
What slicer software are you using and what are your retraction settings?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
January 01, 2013 03:26PM
Is this caused by not enough retraction?
The retraction value can be one factor to change. Another is the temperature, and the travel speed. Try with 1.4 retract value, 230 C° with ABS and 60 mm/seg travel speed. Good luck.
January 03, 2013 02:42PM
Looks just like some of my prints - I can clearly see that the extra material is caused by oozing during long travel. I would guess that your nozzle moves between the areas where pro problems occur. The bits you're seeing is simply material that drips out of the nozzle and hangs there. then, just before reaching the end-point of the travel, the molten plastic is caught by the already printed material. I haven't solved the problem (just trimmed my parts afterwards), but I think it is a mixture between temperature and retraction - just as suggested by Gaodesign.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login