Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tempature of ABS with heated bed???

Posted by joestefano 
Tempature of ABS with heated bed???
January 05, 2013 03:32PM
What extruder temp. are you folks using when printing ABS on a 120C glass heated bed? 1st layer different from the rest? I assume no PLA raft.
Re: Tempature of ABS with heated bed???
January 06, 2013 10:06PM
I usually keep my heated bed between 100-110.

The hot end temp required is very dependant on the Plastic you use.

Some plastic I was using ran at 220.

Others run at 230-240.

What you really need to do is either do the tower print test and adjust temp till it looks right.( So I've heard...)

Or run the temp up until you see the plastic just start to ooze out the bottom of the nozzle. You might want to try 5 deg. higher than that.

Unfortunately, there is no Single temp for all brands and even colours of plastics. Some experimentation is necessary.

That said, the better suppliers will list a range it should work in.

Hope this helps,

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
January 07, 2013 06:04PM
Thank you for your response, Wher can I find this "Tower Test"??
January 07, 2013 06:24PM
Hi there,
It is a little experimental but if you just want to know what others are setting for general comparison, I'm printing in white ABS at the moment and it's lookin' lovely with a hot-end temperature of 240 Deg C, at around 50mm/sec. When I push the speed up a little more I bring the temperature up just a few degrees to help with bonding. I had been dropping the nozzle temperature down to about 235Deg C after the first layer but haven't bothered lately and it's doing just fine.

I don't have a good handle on the temperature on my heated bed, but it's 'hot' to start with (prob in the 110 / 120 region), but the important thing is that I turn it down a bit as soon as the first layer is printed. I drop the temp down about 15 Deg after the first layer. Otherwise the base of the prints deform. The other think I do is have a good coating of ABS juice on the bed. The print sticks well to that, but it needs regular cleaning and re-coating. I expect anyone getting ABS to stick to just glass is probably cleaning it perfectly and has good bed temperature control.

Oh... I've also fitted a hood over the entire printer, for the winter! I let the temperature in the box rise to about 25 - 30 deg C.
Regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
January 08, 2013 12:10AM
joestefano Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for your response, Wher can I find this
> "Tower Test"??

It's part of this set:

[www.thingiverse.com]

and others.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login