Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Reprapper, New Build

Posted by mnadamn 
New Reprapper, New Build
November 22, 2012 12:39PM
First off, I would like to thank all of you, I have been reading these forums for months looking into printing, issues which may come up, and interesting improvements you all are doing.

I am planning a build of a 12.6" x 8.4" heated printbed MendelMAX 1.5 (Thingiverse). Currently it is a work in progress and when everything is finalized, I will be posting STL's. Right now, all that is posed are sketchup files which I am working on to be finalized. I am posting this as I fell I am at a point where input from more experienced reprappers would be beneficial and still keep this project as my own. Right now I need to clean up the x-carriage (based on the quick release richrap part) as there are some open spaces and the belt mounting points do not line up with the X-ends (the mounting points are where richrap had them). Please check out the thingiverse file and let me know what you think.

I do have a question on hot ends, I am interested in either a j-head vb or a budaschnozzle 1.2. I have heard nothing but good things about either of them but am wondering if the buda is worth nearly 2x the cost? I am leaning towards it as I am wanting to possibly do some work with poly and it seems to be able to cope with the heat and am unsure if the J-head would be able to.

Thanks for your help!
Also, for those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving!
Re: New Reprapper, New Build
November 24, 2012 06:31PM
If you want to try polycarbonate with a Budaschnozzle you'll need this:

[www.lulzbot.com]

-Jeff
January 04, 2013 12:38AM
Thanks Jeff, I really like your hotend and will most likely go with it. Your site lists that the poly kit is experimental.... Have you had much success with it? Also, what led you to create the buda instead of use the j-head?

When I first posted this, I was looking for a comparison between the two. Has anyone used both? What did you think?

I will be using a .5mm bore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 12:39AM by mnadamn.
January 07, 2013 10:39AM
J-head in current configuration will not be able to print ploy. Main reason for most hot ends not being able to print poly is the use of PTFE and PEEK in the design. They just can not handle the higher temps needed for poly.

I have used both a j-head style and a budda. Both are great hot ends, Con's of the j-head is the inability to change print nozzle sizes, and the need to cool the PEEK if printing PLA. Con's to the budda are the price, and the overall size/foot print.

If this is your first printer and you are new to 3D printing I would suggest the j-head. If you are for sure going to print poly, then rather then having to purchase a different hot end later, I would get the budda for now and the poly kit later when ready.

Also if you want to wait there is an alternative that is in the middle [prusanozzle.org] . This is not released yet, nor is there wide used of it but it is in the middle of the road price wise and will print poly.
January 09, 2013 03:14PM
Thanks for your response Ikilledkenny, I was looking at the prusa hot end but being new I wanted something with a little more forum support. I am still torn between the two but may go towards the J head first. This decision is due to forum support, small footprint (10mm x rods = less space between), cost and reliability.

In the future I will be looking at poly and other high temp materials but I also would like to play with dual extruders which is nice due to the small footprint and 1/2 the cost on the jhead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 03:14PM by mnadamn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login