Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Were can I connect a cooling fan on Ramps 1.4 for Polulu

Posted by thecrazy 
Were can I connect a cooling fan on Ramps 1.4 for Polulu
December 31, 2012 05:41PM
My Y axis driver is overheating and shutting down.

I have a small 12v 40mm fan I would like to use to cool them down but im not sure were to connect it.
I dont want to connect it to the voltage output for extruder 2 or the heat bed because I need those.

Can I simply connect the fan in parallel with the 12v input comming from the Power supply to the ramps?

More specificaly the 12-35 VDC in on this schematic: [reprap.org]
Should I hook it up in parallel to the 5a or 11a input?

Or is there a better way to do this?

I could drive a new wire all the way from the psu but id rather not do that, I want to keep things clean.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Were can I connect a cooling fan on Ramps 1.4 for Polulu
December 31, 2012 07:24PM
I run a 80mm fan on my Ramps board, and power it directly off 12V from the PSU, which would be identical to powering in in parallel from the 12 V to the board as you suggest.
December 31, 2012 09:07PM
Ditto on my "always-on" fan that I have pointed at my extruder thermal break. I just tapped it off of the power connector that goes into the RAMPS board. Which one doesn't matter since it is before the breakers. I just have to consider the overall capacity of my PSU (which is 30 amps).
January 01, 2013 12:41AM
Thanks to you both for confirming this.

With electricity and electronics i prefer to double check everything.

Thanks again and happy new year to everyone!
January 11, 2013 02:26PM
theCrazy,

Another way to do this would be to tap into your Aux pins on your ramps board. Cool thing about this is you can set up G-code then to turn the fan on/off as well as control the speed of the fan. This is what I do for both my extruder motor fan, and my driver board fan.

Example: under Aux-2 (note I do this using an Azteeg X3, this should work the same but before wiring stuff up try running the code and testing the output with a multi meter)

Hook the negative of your fan the ground and positive to D44 (arduino PWM digital pin). If you want to turn on your fan you can send G-code like so

M42 P44 S255 = M42 (command to talk to specific pins) P44 (the pin you are talking to) S255 (% of voltage to be supplied 0=none 255 = full).
So at the start of your g-code you could put M42 P44 S255 to turn on the fan, then M42 P44 S0 to turn off the fan when print is complete.
January 11, 2013 06:07PM
It's not a good idea to connect a motor directly to the arduino. The arduino has limited current capacity, plus the possible current induced by the motor when it starts up or shuts off can damage the arduino. A simple circuit based on a single transistor is a much safer way to go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login