Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(Another) first print.

Posted by DavidS 
(Another) first print.
January 14, 2013 10:06PM
Started in May I finally finished over Christmas and got a similarly imperfect but awesome first result.

[ihavetobuilda3dprinter.wordpress.com]

Plenty of iterating to do

David
Re: (Another) first print.
January 15, 2013 08:04AM
Its a good start and I'm glad to see that you have finally gotten your printer in a working condition. Without know exactly which kind of printer you built I would assume that it is a Prusa or Mendel variant with a moving Y-Axis print surface (i.e. your glass or aluminum print bed). I found the same troubles with heated aluminum / kapton printbeds. They were not the most reliable and were, for the most part, too heavy and limited my print speed in the Y direction. I have since moved to simple plate mirror glass (1/16" or 1.5mm) w/ a MKI heated bed @ 65-55C. I really like this setup as it is VERY lightweight and has worked reliably for nearly 6 months. I typically print with PLA and have experimented with the new wood/PLA filaments with great success.

I don't see much reason to go with heavy 4mm plate or borosilicate glass unless you are printing with ABS which necessitates higher temps. I have never needed to take my print bed above 65C and so I reserve judgement on whether or not 1.5mm glass can reliably take that kind of temperature without breaking.

Good luck, let us know how you progress.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login