Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are my voltage readings and more questions smoking smiley

Posted by LordTovar 
What are my voltage readings and more questions smoking smiley
March 03, 2013 01:20AM
What are my voltage readings supposed to be powering the board and is it supposed to be VAC or VDC? On a Fieldpiece HS36 Multimeter.

Thanks!

Its on the Z axis motors. They aren't getting much power when I jog it on Repetier on my Macbook Pro. X and Y axis work when jogged and move correctly. I hit 100mm on the Z to go up and it slowly turns and maybe goes 15mm up. Then when I hit -10,-100 it doesn't even move.
I have been searching the forums only to find a hint of it possibly being an endstop issue. Any ides. Could it be the firmware? Could it be the endstops I have them wired "C" to "-" and "NC" to "S" on the RAMPS board. Is that right?
Re: What are my voltage readings and more questions smoking smiley
March 03, 2013 06:01AM
Everything is in DC. You should be seeing 12V (usually, depends on your power supply) in the high power circuits - heater mosfets, stepper drivers) and 5V on the logic and thermistor circuits.

Try turning up the current to the Z motors, theres a trimpot on the stepper driver. If you are using official pololu, you should get about 0.4V on the trimpot wiper, but the exact value needed depends on your machine so I prefer to set them empirically, turn it up till it works properly. Also, check your Z steps per mm value, the defaults look wrong for a leadscrew axis.

You can check the endstops with the M119 command.
March 03, 2013 11:13AM
I sent that M119 code and got < 9:54:51 AM: x_min:H y_min:H z_min:H
any ideas as to what that means?

Can you explain how to check the z steps per mm value and the easiest way to set this?
March 03, 2013 11:15AM
Also I just remembered that the z threaded rods are standard and everything else is metric. How do I fix this to reflect in the firmware and do I even need to?
March 03, 2013 11:41AM
The M119 response is time followed by the state of each endstop. Check that each endstop returns 'l' while activated.

Google will find a reprap calibration calculator that will give you the correct steps per mm value. You can change this in firmware or you can figure out repetier's eeprom function.
March 03, 2013 12:42PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login