Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply connection

Posted by Pretengineer 
Power supply connection
April 04, 2013 08:31AM
Could anyone help me in connecting a power supply to RAMPS 1.3?

I have an ATX 12v PC power supply but I'm unsure how to connect it since I'm quite new at this.

Power supply - [i.imgur.com]

Connections - [i.imgur.com]

EDIT: I should be clearer. I understand that the green PS-ON needs to be connected to a black ground wire. When connecting the brown sense wire to the orange +3.3V wire do I need to connect this to anything else?

When connecting the 12V to the RAMPS, is it sufficient to join the yellows together and the black wires together for each of the 2x2 connectors and wire that into the screw terminal for the 11A and 5A supply?

Can I load one of the 5V wires from the 24 pin connector and just tuck the rest of the wires away? Do I even need to load the 5V as I've heard conflicting reports on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:55AM by Pretengineer.
Re: Power supply connection
April 05, 2013 04:40AM
you just have to see for your self, you are on the right path though! good luck.
April 05, 2013 03:50PM
It really depends on the PSU as to how you need to hook it up since they're all different. The one I'm using only requires me to connect PS_ON to ground. I don't even have to place a load on it, it just works. Try it with your PSU and see if you get the same results. On my RAMPS 1.4, I have 2 yellow and 2 black wires connected to the "11A" terminals, and 1 yellow and one black connected to the "5A" terminals. With it connected like that, my PCB heatbed has no trouble reaching 110 degrees for printing ABS (although I haven't actually printed with ABS yet, I did test the print bed to that temperature).
April 06, 2013 12:35PM
Thanks for the response. I ended up doing exactly as you did sheck626. There was no need for a load on the 5V and no troubles with my wiring. I think I was just worried as I'd never wired a power supply before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login