Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Going to purchase in the next week

Posted by jkirchel 
Going to purchase in the next week
April 01, 2013 11:00AM
New here, please be patient. Looking to purchase a MendelMax kit. Just some final questions before I pull the trigger.

1) Is RAMPS the best for getting the best prints or should I stick with the Sang 1.3a board? (I am able to swap out the Sang 1.3a for the RAMPS if I want)
2) I am getting the GT2 belts and the 1/4 jack screws with the kit. What other upgrades are must haves for getting the best prints?
3) It comes with J Heads. I have heard there are some problems with them clogging. What other extruder do you recommend that will work with the answer to question #1.
4) Ultimaker seems to be the comparison of the best prints from commercial machines. What does it have that RepRap does not that gives it an advantage in better quality prints? (I know that with the right settings and upgrades the MendelMax is able to get even better prints than an Ultimaker)
5) Cost wise which is better 3mm or 1.75 mm? This sort of goes hand in hand with question 3.

That is my upfront questions. I will probably have more as time goes on. If you can, please provide links when suggesting things to purchase. Looking forward to getting into the industry and just want to make sure that I am making the right decisions for my initial purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Going to purchase in the next week
April 02, 2013 08:57PM
So did I post this in the wrong group? Not ask the right questions? Did I miss the secret handshake?

No One?
April 02, 2013 09:45PM
You did forget the handshake but I'll answer anyway. Just kidding. I must apologize for I am on my cell phone and I am half awake so answer will be brief. Welcome to the forums.

jkirchel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New here, please be patient. Looking to purchase a
> MendelMax kit. Just some final questions before I
> pull the trigger.
>
> 1) Is RAMPS the best for getting the best prints
> or should I stick with the Sang 1.3a board? (I am
> able to swap out the Sang 1.3a for the RAMPS if I
> want)
** I prefer RAMPS for me it has been more reliable and more user friendly. You should be able to get good prints with either as long as your reprap is calibrated well.

> 2) I am getting the GT2 belts and the 1/4 jack
> screws with the kit. What other upgrades are must
> haves for getting the best prints?
**GT2 are great Belts and pulleys make sure you get the metal pulleys with your kit as printed ones are inaccurate. As far as other upgrades I'm not sure because I don't own a mendelmax but I'm sure someone that owns one can give you some ideas on upgrades.

> 3) It comes with J Heads. I have heard there are
> some problems with them clogging. What other
** I haven't had any abnormal problems with my j-head.

** I personally only use the J-head hot end as well as a modified j-head

> extruder do you recommend that will work with the
> answer to question #1.
> 4) Ultimaker seems to be the comparison of the
> best prints from commercial machines. What does it
> have that RepRap does not that gives it an
> advantage in better quality prints? (I know that
> with the right settings and upgrades the MendelMax
> is able to get even better prints than an
> Ultimaker)
** really it does come down to configuration of your reprap and if your printing Abs then you will need a heated bed and glass as well as kapton tape or blue tape. For the most part just about any reprap that is configured well can print with and above the quality of commercial printers. Smaller nozzle size will give you better prints for fine detail but it will also take a lot longer to print and it will clog easier. The larger nozzles will print faster but too large and you can get oozing at times.

> 5) Cost wise which is better 3mm or 1.75 mm? This
> sort of goes hand in hand with question 3.
** I'm not sure cost wise which is better but I only recommend 3mm because it is a lot easier to get and has a lot less issues than 1.75mm
>
> That is my upfront questions. I will probably have
> more as time goes on. If you can, please provide
> links when suggesting things to purchase. Looking
> forward to getting into the industry and just want
> to make sure that I am making the right decisions
> for my initial purchase.
>
> Thanks in advance.
April 03, 2013 07:37AM
Excellent! Thank you for the answers! With what you have told me I have made my purchase.

Looking forward to learning and returning the favor...

More questions to follow I am sure. smiling smiley
April 03, 2013 07:45AM
And... WHAT did you decide to purchase? smiling bouncing smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 03, 2013 10:06AM
I got this... It seemed to be the best upgraded kit for the best price. It listed all of the upgrades that I wanted from the start instead of buying a kit with parts I had to replace. You all see anything that I should add to what is listed below?

Product Description:
This kit comes with everything you need to build your Mendelmax 1.5 3D Printer. All of the hardware, bearings and small items are organized in a color coded hardware box. The hardware box has 3D printed dividers to create even more bins. (Having a 3D printer comes in handy).
Build envelope: 9.75" x 11" x 6" (x) x (y) x (z)

Full Unassembled Kit Includes:
Mendelmax Mechanical Kit
- Plastic Parts Kit w/Extruder & Spool Holder (We have Neon Green, Red, Blue and Black*)
- Extrusions Kit- Pre-drilled and Tapped (Silver or Black)
- 8mm & 10mm Smooth Rods
- 1/4" Precision Leadscrews w/nuts and springs
- Aluminum Bed- Pre-drilled & Countersunk
- 12V Silicone Heatbed + Built-in Thermistor (Glue to stick heatbed not included)
- GT2 Belts & Pulleys
- Flexible Aluminum Couplings for Z axis
- Hobbed Bolt kit
- 4 LM10UU Linear bearings
- 6 LM8UU Linear bearings
- 11 608ZZ bearings
- All Hardware- You can choose Stainless Steel or Black
- Sample length of ABS filament
*If you would like a different color than neon green, red, blue or black just let us know.

RAMPS 1.4 Ultimate Electronics Kit
- 1x RAMPS 1.4 Board
- 1x Mega2560 Board
- 5x A4988 Stepper Drivers
- 5x Heatsinks
- 5x Heatsink Conductive Stickers
- 1x SD Card Reader
- 1x Ceramic Screwdriver (Safely adjusting stepper drivers)
- 1x 40mm Fan
- Labeled Cables for wiring (1 meter long each)
- 3x Mechanical Endstops

J-Head MK-V-BV Hotend Kit
- Assembled J-Head MK-V-BV Hotend
Orifice: .35mm
Filament Size: 3mm
- Power Resistor
- Thermistor, 100k, 3%
- PTFE insulation for resistor and thermistor
- Kapton Tape for instalation
- Mounting screws for extruder installation

12V 30A Power Supply
5x NEMA 17 Stepper Motors w/60oz-in holding torque
All the Allen wrenches needed to assemble your 3D Printer
*PLUS- 2ft of Polyurethance Tubing. (For running filament to spool to prevent friction and increase print quality)
April 04, 2013 10:13AM
Damn forgot the handshake again smiling smiley
gk
Thanks for sharing
April 13, 2013 02:00AM
I'm also looking to get a similar kit - found this post interesting. Appreciate it.
Re: Thanks for sharing
April 13, 2013 05:33AM
There sure is a lot to consider when investing in a 3d printer. I ended up choosing a mendel90. Seems to do good quality, looks nice and neat, large build area, all in one electronics, good quality components and Nophead seems to be very committed. The kit and instructions both seem very complete too.
April 16, 2013 02:09PM
I have a tracking number! I have come to the realization that USPS tracking is just a cruel joke for those of us that are slaves to the 'where is it now' age. Especially when it is sent via Priority signature confirmed only. I do know that it has been electronically scanned but that is all I will see until arrives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login