Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Movement

Posted by FLBOTS 
No Movement
May 28, 2013 01:12PM
I'm having an issue with my printer run off of a rambo board with marlin firmware. I had it printing previously, but came back to the printer after a night and wasn't getting any movement, though I could update the firmware on the board. I tried a new board and a new power supply, but still no movement.

I don't need the temperature settings to be functional for the application I have in mind.
Any thoughts on how to test if the issue is with the motors, the board, or the firmware?

What is the best way to test if my motors are fried?

Is there a way to bypass all temperature conditions on printing?

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm new to this, so let me know what I can clarify to make answering any easier.

Thanks!
Re: No Movement
May 28, 2013 01:15PM
Also, the temperature reading I'm getting is (500-room temp) and it goes down when heated. Seems like I have something flipped, but I'm not sure whether it's a pins issue or a configuration issue or a hardware issue.
May 28, 2013 01:17PM
You could try the RAMPS 1.4 test code.

It just outputs to all motors to move back and forth a small bit and flash some LEDs.

[reprap.org]

Not sure if it will work on the RAMBO, but since the Rambo says it accepts RAMPS firmware, it should work.
May 28, 2013 02:33PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the test code and I'm getting a repeated readout of "T0 0/31 T1 0/31 T2 0/31" in pronterface when I connect to the board., but no movement from the motors.

Does the fact that I'm getting a reading from the thermistor but no response from the motors mean that there is something wrong with the motors? or could that be a ramps/rambo compatibility issue? I wasn't getting any errors when I sent the code, for what it's worth.

Thanks again
May 28, 2013 04:17PM
Have you checked your power supply? (Check it with a meter)

Are the motors getting any power at all?

With your original software and power on, can you move the axis by hand? (You shouldn't be able to)
May 28, 2013 05:21PM
Thanks for the reply.
I haven't checked the power supply with a meter but I did swap it for a brand new one, with no results.
And I can move the axis by hand with the power and software on.

Does that suggest its an issue with the motors?
May 29, 2013 09:21AM
If you can move the axis with the power and software on, than the motors are either,

Not getting power

or

Not enabled.
May 29, 2013 10:52AM
We can move the axis manually with the power on and with pronterface thinking it is printing. Additionally a M119 command returns that all endstops are open. what what do you mean by "not enabled"? any suggestions of what we could check or fix? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 11:36AM by FLBOTS.
May 29, 2013 02:15PM
I just checked all the wiring from the motors to the board using an LED and moving the motors to light the LED so that much works.
May 30, 2013 04:19PM
More information: I cannot feel a difference when the motors on or not when I move the axis is plugged in, it thinks it is printing and I feel no resistance from the breaks. When I input m119 then it says each endstop is "open". We flashed the board with RAMPS 1.4 test code and nothing moved. Could all the motors have fried at once or could the machine think it is printing the lights are flashing on the board but in actuality no signal is sent to the motors?
I also rechecked the pin configuration for motherboard 301.

Any suggestions??? Thanks for the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login