Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to find hi temp borosilicate glass? *Facepalm*

Posted by Peterthinks 
Where to find hi temp borosilicate glass? *Facepalm*
July 22, 2013 01:39AM
The front of a stove....seriously, I'm going to the recycle yard here in Strathmore Alberta tomorrow and I'm going to yank the glass out of five or six dead stoves. The recycle depot employees wont care, there are always scavengers there. For the cost of a can of oven cleaner and an hour of my time I can easily get five decent plates of high temp glass. I cant believe I ever considered paying for it (insert sex joke here). I'll let you know how it goes and list the sizes I find...stay tuned for pics!(insert sex joke here).
Re: Where to find hi temp borosilicate glass? *Facepalm*
July 24, 2013 12:31AM
Man, I just junked an old oven. angry smiley

I'll be interested to see your findings.
woo
July 24, 2013 04:21AM
i have buyed regular 3 mm glass, heating it at 110 celsius, nothing happened for now. payed below 1 usd...

i tried, and its all ok, important is to warm it equal, so no problem with pcb heated bed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 04:22AM by woo.
July 24, 2013 09:51AM
See my printer here: [antoniorodriguescom.wix.com]
I bought a glass stove, It became very expensive, but it does a good job...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 09:54AM by novato.
July 24, 2013 10:05PM
I've been using mirror tiles. They are 3mm. Probably not borosilicate but I haven't had any problems with them at all. Is there an advantage to the oven glass over this?

Thanks,

KDog
July 25, 2013 12:19AM
I use cheap (dollar store) picture frame glass. No problems here. If one eventually breaks then it'll be cheap and easy to replace. As long as you heat it evenly, 110C is not *that* hot.
July 25, 2013 02:08AM
Can the stove glass be cut? If it is tempered it would shatter... don't ask me how I know this....

Yvan

Singularity Machine
July 25, 2013 05:07AM
I tried to cut it myself, but it broke into a thousand pieces.
I went to the glass shop and they cut me the glass without difficulties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 05:11AM by novato.
July 25, 2013 07:03PM
Stove glass as I have been told is good for 1200 deg F. Tempered glass is good for 700 deg. F. Stove glass costs 6 times as much as tempered glass costs, and can't be finished in a flat polished edge, which for my design is an issue. In my opinion, regular tempered glass should be sufficient, unless you have a good piece of stove glass you can reuse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login