Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using just the 24-pin ATX connector with RAMPS 1.4?

Posted by RickM 
Using just the 24-pin ATX connector with RAMPS 1.4?
July 04, 2013 03:40PM
Hi all,

Just about to start building my first Reprap (Prusia i3) and have ordered all my parts except the PSU as I was planning to use an existing computer ATX power supply. In my build I'm going to be using RAMPS 1.4 along with a MK2A heat bed.

I have a query with regards to using the ATX PSU.

Firstly, I want to note that I do not want to lop off all the unused connectors - quite happy to keep them as the plan is to use one or two lights and possibly run a raspberrypi along side for videoing the builds. For this reason I do not want to open the PSU. In fact, I dont actually plan on making a single permanent alternation to it.

With that said, on with the post smiling smiley

From what I understand the 'traditional' method is to short the PSU_ON pin (on the 24-port motherboard end) to cause the PSU to power up automatically.

You then take the square 4-pin 12v connector and merge the 2 grounds, and the 2 12 volts, then connect those up to the RAMP with the first 12 volt connection. Then you do the same with one of the molex ends to get power into RAMPS for the heat bed.

So the end result is two 12v connections going into the RAMPS, and I assume one is used to power the heat bed, the other powers everything else.

With that in mind, I wanted to ask a few questions as I'd like this build to be as nice and tidy as possible but without modifying the PSU in any way.

1) I planned on using a female 4-port end for the first 12v power supply, and modifying it to merge the 2 12v's and 2 grounds, then there would be the power and ground wire going from that to the RAMPS - sort of like a home made adaptor. Would this be ok, and is there any special wire/solder I need to be using here?

2) I want to do the same for the molex - run a female molex cable (taking only the 12v and ground) into the other 12v input on the RAMPS. Again, cable and solder limitations if any?

I did also want to ask one final thing which I did have a thought about:

3) Why is it not possible to just take BOTH 12v connections from the big 24pin ATX motherboard cable? Surely this way you have just one cable that can provide 3.3v, 5v and 12v. Is this possible? I was planning on eventually using a small breakout board with the 24-pin ATX female and mount it to my frame. So the PSU could theoretically just plug into that and provide all power, could it not?

Many thanks for your time and please forgive any massive stupidity on my part, the only electronics I've done is setting up a PIR on a RaspberryPi breakout board.
Re: Using just the 24-pin ATX connector with RAMPS 1.4?
July 04, 2013 09:32PM
Well, here's what I did..
I just used ScotchLok connectors to pick up the desired 12v lines then fed the cables to the ramps board. Should I ever need to return the PS to computer "duty", (unlikely), i can just easily do so.
Note the 5V load resistor under the aluminium extrusion on the left side.

July 05, 2013 04:05AM
Thanks for the reply waitaki.

I ended up watching a bunch of videos on YouTube and decided to go down the 12v supply route. I found a supply on eBay for £21.69 delivered.

I know this means I dont have the extra molex ports for future development, but from looking at the arduino megao that's in use on the RAMPS kit, I can take a 5v or 3.3v supply from it. So theoretically could build a 'ring' of LED's around the hot end pointing down at the build area.

Alternatively I suppose I could use a DC 12v to 5v board and run all the LED's from that, assuming I can find one somewhere!

Getting excited now - ordered all the parts needed to build the i3, most if not all of which should be here next week grinning smiley
July 05, 2013 11:12PM
I agree.
I used a PC supply cos' I had one. I would rather have a dedicated 12v supply - next machine will have!

July 26, 2013 06:51AM
Just wanted to update this quickly.

The 12v adaptor blew up the second I powered it on. Thankfully it did no damage to the RAMPS board. At this point I was rather pissed off. So I ripped out a 350W ATX power supply from an old computer, used the square 2x 12v cable and merged it into one, and hooked it up for the hotbed supply. Then took the 12v lead from one of the molex ends and used that for the RAMPS supply. Total time was less than 15 minutes, and it works perfectly fine from initial tests.

I know some said you have to pull a 5v load (presumably this is ok coming off any of the left over molex cables, is it not? My plan is to use the extra molex cables to add a few enhancements. One of them being LED lighting above and under the bed, and possibly even build in a Raspberry Pi with a small touchscreen, and have it hooked up to RAMPS - basically acting as the host computer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login