Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder troubles

Posted by TheFerminator 
Extruder troubles
July 13, 2013 10:02PM
I just finished building, and now my extruder keeps stripping a spot on the filament rather than extruding. Also, my extruder has a fan that I have no idea where to connect.

My build:
Frame - Original PrintrBot with additional support for Z motors.
Electronics - Ultimate kit from reprapdiscount
Extruder - QU-BD extruder with their motor, assembled by me

I have tried adjusting the filament tensioner without any effect on the problem. Any help would be nice, I'm a noob and I know it. It is probably something simple.
Re: Extruder troubles
July 14, 2013 08:24AM
Your electronic kit is «RAMPS» i guess.

Plug your fan in the D9 output. Be aware not to confuse the wires (+ & -) with a fan.

I've heard that the Qu-BD was problematic quite often. Try to polish the inside of your stainless steel barrel.

What plastic and filament do you use?
July 14, 2013 10:23AM
Yes I am using ramps, I am using 1.75mm ABS. I will check the barrel and the nozzle.
July 14, 2013 10:34AM
Be sure your temperature is high enough. Heat it up till the point it just dribbles out of your hot end a little, then back it off about 5 degrees.

Good luck, ash.
July 14, 2013 07:00PM
Here is what I've done to fix the barrel. I have done 30 plus hours prints with no problems at all.

[www.buildlog.net]

Mike has some barrels I made up for $15 each. You can contact Mike at

mike at thewoodworker dot net

Rodney
July 14, 2013 09:39PM
I sent him an email. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to make the modifications myself. Are his barrels like the one you made?
July 14, 2013 11:10PM
I made the ones Mike has for sale and they are a 1 piece design. It is a basic swap out from your barrel to the new one.

Also it helps to add a MK7 gear. Here is where I get mine at.

[www.ebay.com]

Rodney
July 15, 2013 12:21AM
I'll try that if the barrel isn't enough, my gear seems to grip fine until the nozzle clogs.
August 08, 2013 10:43AM
The barrel makes it so I can at least print something, but I still get jams more often than I would like. It mostly happens when it is doing infill, and not extruding as fast. I'm going to try making the grooves deeper in the stock gear, and if that doesn't do the trick I will order a different one.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login