Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring of a J-head

Posted by DeanRens 
Wiring of a J-head
November 03, 2013 11:37AM
Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the wiring of a J-head.

The supplier of my prusa i3 kit told me to use a red wire for the resistor and a black one for the sensor.
But i found a tutorial where it says that i need to use heat resistant wires for this, is this the case?

Thx,

Dean
Re: Wiring of a J-head
November 03, 2013 02:02PM
You do not want to have normal thermoplastic insulated wire right up against the resistor or the tip of the J-Head. The stuff is likely rated at 85C or so. Your tip may be running as high as 230C. The wire leads on the resistor do not cary heat all that well. They are long and skinny. The temperature at the end of those leads is well below the tip temperature. The shrink tubing that people normally use is quite happy at the temperature the leads get to. It's only as you exit the shrink tube that the temperature spec on the wire applies. The idea is that you solder the "black wire" to the very end of the resistor leads and put the shrink tube over the solder joint and over the "black wire". The resistor leads are insulated with / wrapped in the kapton tape.

If the resistor leads are short enough that the wire out of the end of the shrink tube will be up against the body of the J-head, that's not good. If you can tape the resistor leads to the body of the J-Head and have the exit from the shrink tube away from the body of the J-Head you are probably fine. If you are running a fan to cool the head (a good idea) it will cool the leads as well. In that case you are very unlikely to get things very hot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login