Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMBO Board Problem Printing Circles

Posted by ralphferro 
RAMBO Board Problem Printing Circles
December 01, 2013 04:54PM
I have had a RANBO 1.1b configured and running for a couple of weeks on a MendelMax1.5

It ran great for couple of weeks. I was printing ornaments and peace signs and they were printing great.

Last knight I ran some peace signs and the circles which were printing great are now printing with a slight irregularity which is messing up the entire print.

I checked all of the mechanics and everything is smooth. I tried printing on different sections of the bed and still the same.

I re-flashed the firmware and still the same.

I tried varying the Slic3r setting and still no change.

I checked the belts tension and the belts seem OK.

No changes were made to the Marlin config which worked great fro a couple of weeks and a lot of prints.

Then problem is repeatable and consistent. Pretty much the same regardless of size.

Any ideas?
Re: RAMBO Board Problem Printing Circles
December 01, 2013 05:46PM
If the prints in the picture are oriented as they appear on the printer - it's likely your X axis is slipping. The set screws that attach the drive gear to the stepper motor are the most likely cause.

Printing the traditional hollow cube is a quick(er) way to diagnose most of these things. If you print it as a spiral vase, it goes quick and does not use a lot of filament. Quick feedback is a good thing.

The most likely causes are all mechanical:

1) Loose belt
2) Loose drive gear
3) Loose carriage (yes I've had that one)
4) Sticky carriage bearings.

Put a mark on the drive gear and the motor shaft, run the printer a bit and see if they move relative to each other.

If the print is rotated and it's the Y axis slipping, you can include various bits and pieces of the Y carriage on the list.
December 01, 2013 06:28PM
Thanks, uncle_bob, it was a loose drive gear.
December 01, 2013 10:15PM
Pull the gear and make sure the motor shaft isn't messed up. If it's chewed up, at least knock down the big chunks. You might also consider ordering a backup motor if it's messed ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login