Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with top layers

Posted by matrix4721 
Problems with top layers
January 03, 2014 06:14AM
Hi everyone

I'm having issues with the top layers of my print not being solid, i have tried to sort it myself by measuring the filament and have solid infill (even though there are still gaps) but no matter what i change i cant seem to get the top layers to be solid as you can see from the picture

Any thoughts on what i can try would be great

I'm running a prusa i3 with 1.75mm ABS printing at 235 degrees C with solid infill at a layer height of 1.480mm using Rectilinear infill for top/bottom/infill using slic3r and repetier host

Thanks in advance

Chris
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140103_110220.jpg (297.3 KB)
Re: Problems with top layers
January 03, 2014 06:49AM
a simple soultion would be to add more solid top layers. But to properly fix it I think you want to look at calibrating your extruder a bit more.
January 03, 2014 07:14AM
Hi, thank you for your reply

I would rather try to fix the issue rather than adding extra layers because i think the top layer will still look abit rough even with extra layers, i will double check the extruder calibration but last time i checked it when i told it to run 100mm of filament it ran 100.7mm so i think its pretty close
January 03, 2014 12:34PM
it looks to me like a slic3r auto-calculated extrusion width problem. Developer will not acknowledge this problem.

Under Print Settings>Advanced set default extrusion width to the same size as your nozzle, this will effectively place your extruder passes closer together.

You will need to adjust your extrusion multiplier for your manually set extrusion width.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 12:36PM by Dirty Steve.
January 03, 2014 03:00PM
So I should set the default extrusion width to 0.35mm to match the nozzle? How do I adjust the extrusion multiplier? Is there a set method for it? Thanks in advance
January 03, 2014 07:59PM
Dirty Steve
it looks to me like a slic3r auto-calculated extrusion width problem. Developer will not acknowledge this problem.

Under Print Settings>Advanced set default extrusion width to the same size as your nozzle, this will effectively place your extruder passes closer together.

You will need to adjust your extrusion multiplier for your manually set extrusion width.

Is it just me, or has this issue come up a few times now?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
January 03, 2014 09:37PM
Under Filament Settings>Filament>Extusion mulliplier

It's a decimal number adjustment such as .92, .95, 1.01, 1.05 as examples.

Run single wall cube calibration prints from Thingiverse to find your adjusment.
January 03, 2014 09:42PM
@Yvan

It's the only way I have been able to get slic3r to work with my machine, running a 0.25mm nozzle.

During beta releases, there was a version that world print correctly and with the next beta the print had the passes spaced too far apart just like this print issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login