Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommended Wire AWG for Hoted Bed MK2

Posted by epareja 
Recommended Wire AWG for Hoted Bed MK2
June 20, 2012 05:23PM
Hello,

I've read a lot about hotbed connections and found different solitions for that that including using ribon cable in parallel.

I would like to use a single multifilament wire from the MK2 to the RAMPS circuit and found that for 11Amps it should be a 10AWG that is very thick.

I also want to know if my MK2 bed resistance of 1.8 ohms is correct. For 12V I will have 6.7 Amps and I'm not sure if it will get hot enough for ABS printing at 100C.

Thank you!!!!
Re: Recommended Wire AWG for Hoted Bed MK2
June 20, 2012 05:42PM
I use 18AWG stranded copper wire and haven't had issues.

The ratings are largely based on voltage drop over the wire, and insulation temperature rating.
You were probably looking at power transmission numbers, those are for very long runs of cable, not the 1ft or so you see on a reprap, the chasis wiring figures are more applicable.

Anything in the 1->2 Ohm range is fine for the heated bed, mine is 1.3 Ohms and that draws enough power than I need to blow air over the large fuse on the RAMPS board or it trips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 05:44PM by Polygonhell.
June 20, 2012 05:43PM
Thank you!!!! That helps a lot!
June 20, 2012 06:21PM
1.8 Ohms is too high. The bed should measure 1.2 Ohm across the terminals when it is cold. Don't forget to subtract the resistance of the meter leads. Mine are about 0.2 Ohm.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 20, 2012 06:56PM
That was it. My tester leads mark 0.8 ohms so the bed resistance would be approximatlely 1 ohm.
June 20, 2012 09:15PM
I use 16 AWG stranded wire, which works just fine. 18 AWG should be OK too.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login