Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portabee heated bed not working

Posted by JosiahLuscher 
Portabee heated bed not working
December 26, 2013 03:50PM
So my father got excited about 3D printing and has had a half built portabee sitting in his basement for quite a while now. I'm visiting him, and trying to do him a favor by getting it running.

The heated bed is not heating; and the printer is not printing. I think these things are related. The electronics are Gen6.d (deluxe). The resistance of the bed is right about 10-12 ohms. The heated bed thirmistor has a resistance of about 115K ohms at room temperature (bit cold in the basement...). I'm thinking that the correct instructions are not being sent to the printer to turn the heated bed on; but I don't know much about that. From searching around on the internet I've heard talk of Gen6 (not deluxe) firmware that doesn't support the heated bed. Maybe I have to use a different firmware? I'm confused a bit about the firmware thing. Do I need to load the firmware into Cura, or into the Gen6.d electronics? Any thoughts or ideas you have could be super helpful. Thank you!
Re: Portabee heated bed not working
December 26, 2013 05:04PM
If the heated bed resistance is indeed 10 to 12 ohms (rather than 1.0 to 1.2 ohms) that's a problem. It will only run about 12W off a 12V supply if it's 10 to 12 ohms. That's not going to get it very warm.

Firmware is loaded into the cpu that drives the control board. Normally it's loaded with something like the Arduino IDE.
Re: Portabee heated bed not working
January 21, 2014 04:44PM
If anyone know the 'standard' resistance readings for the heated bed AND for the thermistor I would appreciate hearing what they are.

Many thanks to a very talented (and un-daunted !) son who put the other half of my Portabee kit together ;-)

He has (unfortunately) gone home after the Holidays - I don't get to see enough of him - but he left my printer in great shape.

I've been 'fiddling' with the remaining problem of the non-heated, heated bed, and noticed strange behavior:
1. The power to the heated bed was at 12VDC at one point and the bed was warming up slightly, ramping up (Pronterface 'Watch' graph) towards the target temperature (110 C), but after some point the 12V dropped out.

I've been looking for the cause - was it an overheated driver going into self-protect?, the firmware quitting for some reason (thermistor reading out-of-range?).

I have a lot more to learn about the setup but am looking forward to figuring this problem out and printing some replacement parts for my Portabee ;-)

James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login