Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 completely DIY advice.

Posted by sghsmorgan 
Prusa i3 completely DIY advice.
January 15, 2014 09:25PM
Hello,

I'm looking to build a 3d printer, more specifically the Prusa i3, or maybe the Mendel. I'm wanting to build as much of it as I can from scratch. I'm taking classing at the tech center, so I can get access (or get someone else, I think) to their existing 3d printer, and metal cutting CNC machines (I don't know the names, but they've got a bunch. They machine parts for diy go karts and motorbikes etc.) I was curious as to what advice someone would have, such as which of the parts can I machine myself (using the existing 3d printer/CIM/CNC mahines) and which parts I will still have to buy?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Re: Prusa i3 completely DIY advice.
January 16, 2014 12:57AM
I guess depends what version you're building. For boxed you only need 3d printer for plastic parts. For single sheet usually water jet is used but i guess you could use CNC mill, talking about frame obviously. Thats it for Prusa i3.
January 16, 2014 01:32AM
They have a water jet that I could probably use. So,

3d print the 28 RP parts
water jet the single sheet
buy the rods, nuts, bolts, electronics, etc.

I guess I'll use this to build the frame. [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Any other suggestions?
January 16, 2014 02:30AM
You got it. Just get a good hot end like buda or jhead. Once assembled calibrate it before starting to print. This is very good guide [reprap.org]
January 17, 2014 10:30AM
If I want to build a single plate, should I follow the guide for the Einstein variant?

[reprap.org]
January 18, 2014 08:55PM
I guess it would be a personal choice. There's quite a few single plate versions.
January 21, 2014 12:56AM
I can't find many single plate versions that are well documented. Any suggestions?

What's the difference in Einstein and any other single plate aluminum version?
January 21, 2014 01:22AM
Take a look at this one: [reprap.org].
Very well documented.

[www.thingiverse.com]
January 21, 2014 10:14AM
It is very well documented! Much better than the other.... I've even looked at it before, why didn't I choose it in the first place? lol

But what is the difference, besides documentation?
January 21, 2014 01:35PM
As far as I can see its using all M10 threaded rods and extruder is different, also using 4 bearings on x carriage instead of standard 3.
January 30, 2014 12:16PM
You can always look on Graber variant, all cut part, no plastic at all
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login