Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 Build Problems

Posted by DerekS 
i3 Build Problems
January 29, 2014 03:33PM
I recently purchased an aluminum frame Prusa i3 kit from norcalreprap.com. I finally got it assembled; all of the axis move smoothly without binding. I downloaded the latest Marlin from the github repository. I adjusted the config.h for my specific printer and uploaded it to my board. I start repetier host and connect my printer and it says # commands waiting; it wont move the axis or anyting. I tried printrun and it just says connecting... What do I do? This is my first printer build but I have experience with 3d printers from before.
Re: i3 Build Problems
January 29, 2014 03:49PM
Did you set the right baudrate in printrun?
January 29, 2014 04:15PM
The baud rate is set at 250000 in the firmware and in printrun(as well as in Repetier). The com port works because I can upload the firmware to the board.
January 29, 2014 05:08PM
have you got

#define SERIAL_PORT 0

set in the config? must be 0 for marlin on ramps
January 29, 2014 05:12PM
Are you using RAMPS? And what sort of computer are you using?

I just built the NorCal i3 with RAMPS and a Raspberry Pi and I'm using a lower baud rate 115200 (I think)
January 29, 2014 05:56PM
lazzymonk, I had the serial port defined as 3 because that is the com port I was using; I changed it back to zero and I can now connect to repetier and or printrun. Should I use printrun or repetier or does it matter? When I jog the x axis in printrun it will move but when it stops it will whine--the motor. When I jog the z axis it will move part way and then "click" and whine. Is there too much or too little current getting to the motors?

phyllis_ave, I am using RAMPS with the mega; I am using a laptop with windows 7 64bit?
January 29, 2014 06:29PM
I couldn't recommend either as I only ever print from sd card. As for the current thing. Could be either but likely too little.
January 29, 2014 06:58PM
Repetier is leaps and bounds above printrun in my opinion.
January 29, 2014 08:46PM
When I was connected to repetier host jogging the axis, all of a sudden I got the "printer reset due to errors" error; I think it is the M999 error. What has happened?
January 31, 2014 05:44PM
After some further investigation I discovered that my thermistor on the hotend shorted out and caused the hotend to melt. No idea why this happened. That is why I was having problems with the host software; the firmware apparently has a safety feature in it so if the temperature of the hotend cannot be read, it will not let you jog the motors or do anything. I kept getting the "printer reset error. Use M999 to restart." I have contacted the place where I bought the printer to have them send me a replacement hotend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login