Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big printer build, 400-700-600

Posted by nechaus 
Big printer build, 400-700-600
February 01, 2014 08:34PM
Hey guys, I am building a large scale printer, it will look similar to the prusa i3, 400mm-x x 700mm-y x 600mm-z So easy to build i love it.
been working on ways to stop droop on the print bed, using 12mm smooth rods, may need to go with rails, not to sure yet

I just wanted to ask you guys from first hand experience, Whats the most powerful electronics kits? I need beefy stepper drivers, Was wanting to use a beefy stepper Y for now but maybe x axis.
Re: Big printer build, 400-700-600
February 01, 2014 09:25PM
So iv been briefly looking over it, The common stepper drivers can do 2.2 amps with forced air cooling...
So it will make sense to use 24 volts with this system
February 01, 2014 11:54PM
You can use Mach 3 or EMC2 operating system and use higher voltage any size motor and driver easily up to 6 Amp. But you have to control temperature for bed and hot end with a standalone temp control. Build it just like a CNC machine. Check out cnczone or Mach 3 forum
February 02, 2014 12:18AM
I actually plan on not using a heated build plate but just a heater build environment, Will be predominantly used with PLA.
A cost of electricity using such a large heated plate at 100c will be a bugger, So i thought ill try this instead.

I would prefer to use ramps, So if I will have to go down the path of cnc stuff, I will need to read and learn more... Trying to avoid this until I build a diy cnc.
I will just stick to Nema 17's with force air cooling + heatsinks and slowish movements and slow acceleration, I dont mind waiting a day or two for such a big print....
I will need to make build plate as light as possible now.

Another question, I have been playing with slic3r, Looks like it craps out at nozzle sizes bigger than .9mm/.8mm, Like it will slice it, but its very messy
So unless I can use a 1mm nozzle, I might stick with a .8 or around that with .4-.6 mm layer height?

Edit Another question, Should I parallel the Y motor as it will be moving the bed?
-Will this overload the driver?
-Will it be fine to use just a single motor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 12:28AM by nechaus.
February 02, 2014 05:52AM
I don't think too many people have had reliable results when building a large printer. Parts have to be much stiffer to span longer distances with minimal sag I think you going to have problems driving it with Nema 17 or even small Nema 23 I think you going to need more power. As far as the CNC'stuff it's a lot easier than standard reprap to hook up and set anybody can do it. Acceleration and deceleration is very critical to getting good prints it needs to be quite high for good quality prints

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 06:03AM by cnc dick.
February 02, 2014 07:20AM
I am quite confident in preventing sag, I have a few ideas to prevent this, I will be using 12mm steel round hardened steel for the linear movement, However it may change...

I guess worst case, I build it up and end up having to make it a smaller printer in the end...

The size i want does not seem to be difficult to achieve, You are getting me interested in cnc tho, I will take a look at it soon, Perhaps i should build a cnc instead of another printer. I really do want to print large object with PLA and heated environment, I will be using low efficiency lights for the heat and light source within the printer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 07:21AM by nechaus.
February 02, 2014 09:59AM
RAMPS works quite well with external drivers, although some config may be required. Quite a few people are using some variant of the Toshiba driver (TB6560 etc) which can handle 3A and more for about $10 per axis.

I am looking at how to support this config with a interface header board on the RAMPS.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
February 02, 2014 10:11AM
bobc
RAMPS works quite well with external drivers, although some config may be required. Quite a few people are using some variant of the Toshiba driver (TB6560 etc) which can handle 3A and more for about $10 per axis.

I am looking at how to support this config with a interface header board on the RAMPS.

Thank you!!!, I will certainly look into those ones, 3amps would be ideal!

Here are the smooth rails i have decided to go with, 16mm with support

[www.ebay.com.au]

Local and not that expensive
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login