Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Error printer halted kill called - ramps problem?

Posted by Horse Renoir 
Error printer halted kill called - ramps problem?
May 12, 2014 01:46PM
Hi,
im having a random problem with my i3 where it simply locks up. Im using ramps 1.4 and a mega 2560. It can print fine for days then it starts printing and random locks up and through repetier host gives the error printer halted kill called, when this happens the printing stops and loses connection to the computer, even the lcd locks up and the only solution is to pull the power. Ive read that it can be interference from the usb so i tried to print via the sd card and even though it printed for longer it still locked up.

Theres nothing else thats switched on on the same set of sockets as the printer. Ive read that apparently this fault is a common problem with the ramps board and not other boards i.e rambo 1.2, is there anyway i can sort this problem as it is very annoying when it locks up hours into a print
Re: Error printer halted kill called - ramps problem?
May 12, 2014 08:16PM
First try the best USB cable you can get second change everything from 250000 Baud rate to 115200. Do you have a fan on the electronics you definitely should have one the drivers could be shutting down thermally or the two yellow squares by the 12 V input are thermal fuses if you're pushing things anywhere near the Max you definitely need a fan blowing over all of this

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 08:37PM by cnc dick.
May 13, 2014 11:31AM
Hi cnc,
Im using the standard usb lead that came with the mega 2560 but i ruled out usb interference due to the fact the problem still occurs even when printing from sd. Im also using 115200 baudrate. I didnt have a fan blowing over the ramps however i did attach 2 x 40mm fans to blow directly over the ramps board and tried printing again, after about half a layer it locked up again.

I dont think im pushing it to hard as im only printing at 40mm/s. Im struggling to figure out where the problem is, it could be the ramps or the mega or even the power supply (im using 12v 30amp psu).
May 13, 2014 12:09PM
First thing those USB cables they give you for free are just that junk they are cheapest thing that they could possibly could get . Second you said that it does the same thing printing from the SD card did you still have the USB cable plugged into the ramps even though it's disconnected from the computer. It can pick up electrical interference from Stepper motor wires and power wires like a antenna make sure USB cable is away from power lines and motor wires buy an expensive monster cable or other high-end brand USB cable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 12:12PM by cnc dick.
May 14, 2014 08:19PM
Hi cnc,
Thanks for your advice, i disconnected the usb and moved the power supply further away from the printer in case it was causing some interference, i then attempted to print again from the sd, after 30 or 40 minutes the printer locked up and on the lcd display some jargo (please see attached picture). The yellow fuses on the ramps board were hot however it seems to lock up whether i have a fan pointed at the ramps or not. i'm currently unable to complete a print without it locking up. Assuming its interference thats somehow upset the electronics, is there anything i can do to help prevent these lock ups? i need to get this sorted as it is doing my head in, im even considering swapping the ramps for something else i.e megatronics but id rather not fork out for it without trying to sort my current setup out.
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled1.jpg (476.8 KB)
May 14, 2014 08:56PM
Wow that is strange looking the only thing I could think of is the ribbon cables to your LCD and SD might be picking up interference. Try to route them so they nowhere near any motor wires. Secondly to prove if that's your problem disconnect your LCD and SD set up just by unplugging it from the ramps. And try running it from the computer through the USB with no SD or LCD
May 19, 2014 06:20AM
Hi cnc
I tried your advice and disconnected the lcd/sd and ran the printer directly from the i3, i also got a much better usb cable and re-routed the wiring to give space between the motor wires and the usb cable, i attached fans to the ramps board and ensured the yellow fuses where being well cooled, i ran a print of a vase and after afew layers it locked up again, i tried to reconnect to it via repetier host but it couldnt see it. i had to unplug the usb and the power and reconnect before the computer could see it.

Im leaning towards it being a electronic fault (although i could be wrong), so its either psu, mega or ramps, i tried to run my i3 off a 203w xbox 360 power supply to try and rule that out as being the problem and even though i could move the axis' and heat up the bed etc all fine when it actually came to print it kept tripping out the power supply, this is abit wired as ive read other people using the 360 power supply without any issues. Im considering trying 2 xbox power supplies and using one for the 5a input and one for the 11a input and see if it works without locking up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login