Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bypass Fuse

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Bypass Fuse
May 21, 2014 08:31AM
So I blew a fuse on my Minitronics board by moving the Y-axis motor [which seems to double as a generator, with no power, if I move the motor fast enough the lights and fans will activate for as long as I'm moving it] when servicing it. I've never had a problem before, but I guess the Minitronics is more sensitive. I was wondering if I could use a jumper and bypass the fuse to continue use until the replacement fuse arrives. Or is there something special that the small fuses [besides protect against over current] do that would still prevent the board from working?

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: Bypass Fuse
May 21, 2014 09:11AM
A motor is a generator. A generator is a motor. A motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. A generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Although there are some choices you would make in design efficiency and features of one vs. the other, they are identical devices.

There is nothing else a fuse does other than to prevent too much current from flowing through your electronics. I do not recommend operating your board with the fuse jumpered. Not only might you damage your electronics, you are running some decent wattage through your system. See some pictures elsewhere on these forums of printers that have caught on fire. Your fuse is an important safety device design to help prevent this from occurring.
Re: Bypass Fuse
May 21, 2014 10:07AM
I'm aware of the hazards, and I would only run my printer like this temporarily and only when it can be watched.
I'm also aware of the synonimaty of motors and generators, but I've always only had that effect on my Y-Axis, no other axis has generated energy through the board.
Thanks

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login