Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis Barely Moves

Posted by erkall77 
Axis Barely Moves
July 06, 2014 10:01PM
Hello,
I have been building my Prusa Mendel 3d printer for a couple months now. I have the entire printer completed and all the wiring set up (i think). I downloaded all the software and firmware as the reprap instructions said to. I used Sprinter firmware. The printer even connects properly to Pronterface. However, when I direct the printer to move 10 mm or 100 mm (x & y axis) on pronterface, it only moves about 1 mm. The motors seem to be working because depending on if I click 10 mm or 100 mm, the motor tries to move the axis for different lengths of time. The z axis doesn't seem to move at all but you can still hear the motor trying to move it. So, is this an issue of the motors not being strong enough (even though I used the motors reprap told me to use) or is this some sort of software issue?
If this is an issue with the motors, should I get new motors or try lubricating the bearings or something different?
If I need to get new motors, do you guys recommend a specific motor type?

- K
Re: Axis Barely Moves
July 07, 2014 01:09AM
If they are Nema 17 motors, then they should be fine.
* check you have the 3 jumpers installed under all the plolou chips.
* check the voltage on the trimpots - they should be at least 0.4v

July 07, 2014 04:41AM
Some lubrication is always a good idea. Running entirely dry will wear out your bearings within hours.

Regarding not moving: acceleration in Marlin, Sprinter & Co. are waaay to high by default. Reducing this to 1000 mm/s2 should help. Also, as saidn, ajust your stepper drivers: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 07, 2014 02:01PM
I didn't receive the 3 jumpers. Do you have to have them ?
If so, do you guys know where I could buy them ?

- K
July 07, 2014 10:24PM
You must have them for microstepping - it's silly they didn't supply them. Anyway, they are standard jumpers you would use on a PC motherboard - look under the Pololu's and you will see the pins sticking up waiting desperately to be populated (3 for each Pololu). Any electronics shop will have them.

Click here to login