Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Auto Bed Leveling Servo Twitching?

Posted by matrix4721 
Prusa i3 Auto Bed Leveling Servo Twitching?
January 23, 2014 07:03PM
Hey peeps
So after falling in love with the auto bed leveling feature shown by the legendary 'Zennmaster' i decided it was a must have for my setup, so i watched all the videos, ordered all the parts and hooked it all up. I cautiously connected the power (after previously connecting the pins backwards) and hurray, everything seems to be moving as it should, However, before i can enjoy the benefits of auto bed leveling i have to overcome one major issue, the servo arm twitches, as soon as i connect power to the printer, the arm twitches, the servo will continue to twitch every 10 seconds or so. I've also noticed that if i move the axis' then the servo will twitch more yet the axis' still move smoothly.

Im not entirely sure what could be causing this so if anyone has any suggestions for me to try or perhaps you've experienced this issue youself i would be grateful for your input

Kind Regards
Re: Prusa i3 Auto Bed Leveling Servo Twitching?
January 24, 2014 04:12PM
try moving the servo wires away from the stepper wires
January 25, 2014 07:10AM
Check this out:

Marlin

I had same problem. I tracked it down to the fan pin using an analog write. Quick way to confirm is to define your fan pin as -1 to see if it fixes the servo signal.
January 25, 2014 10:36PM
Mine is twitching. It seems to twitch particularly badly when the z axis is moving. I'll try altering the fan pin since I don't use it.
January 25, 2014 11:53PM
There's a setting to disable the servo during moves in configuration.h. Mine doesn't twitch anymore.

You could also isolate your steppers with a ferrite core....they're pretty cheap on Amazon.
January 27, 2014 08:26PM
i think it could be interference from the motors, so ive ordered some ferrite and will try that and post results
January 29, 2014 12:11PM
I'll have to try that servo disabling setting. I assume it's in the RC servo section? Mine definitely ONLY twitches when moving and particularly so when the Z moves. There must be some cross-talk in the ramps board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 12:12PM by umdpru.
February 05, 2014 03:09PM
Where is there an option to disable the servo while moving? I can only find a section pertaining to the axes, not the servo.

Has everyone solved their twitching issues? My twitching is affecting the auto level routine.
February 06, 2014 12:09PM
Right below the auto bed level offset settings there is:
#define PROBE_SERVO_DEACTIVATION_DELAY
I have mine set to 500

My servo would twitch and also wouldn't move into position every time when powered via the Mega, it stopped doing that when I used a 7805 to power the servo.
August 24, 2014 05:49PM
Hi I have got the same problem but it is only on latest version of marlin my older version of marlin the servo is good no twitch so I am sure it's not interference as i have not moved them
If anyone would like a copy of older version what works fine i will post when I finish work tomorrow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login