Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY extruder

Posted by macpheec 
DIY extruder
July 10, 2008 11:38AM
Hi folks,

I'm quite interested in starting up into RepRapping - I've had experience in CAD/CAM and the idea of being able to prototype my own gear sounds delicious. ;-) That said, I've read many places that building a RepRap can be quite costly - $400 may be the target, but often folks are ranging into $1000+. What I'd like to do is build a RepStrap "on a dime," allowing the opportunity to upgrade to a RepRap in the future (and still pump out some prototypes).

Here's my plan:
1) Purchase a complete Arduino electronics kit from RRRF (those PCBs would be handy!).
2) Purchase Arduino at a local shop
3) Machine my own McWire Cartesian bot components.
4) Create my own Thermoplast Extruder

IMHO, #1-3 are pretty feasible...I'm not the best machinist, but I'm sure I'll manage. #4 though, sounds trickier. Shelling out
Re: DIY extruder
July 10, 2008 12:30PM
I've heard areound that the McWire isn't all that stable a CNC platform. Others could say more. I'm relying on heresay evidence only.
July 10, 2008 01:12PM
Forrest Higgs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard areound that the McWire isn't all that
> stable a CNC platform. Others could say more.
> I'm relying on heresay evidence only.

Hmmm. Under the "going for the gold" approach, have you heard if the Plywood RepStrap is considered stable?

Building this way would take a fair bit of time, but once assembled, the machine could start churning out plastic replacement pieces...
July 10, 2008 01:37PM
macpheec Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm. Under the "going for the gold" approach,
> have you heard if the Plywood RepStrap is
> considered stable?

All I've heard is that the corner blocks tend to splinter. Nothing beyond that, though.
July 25, 2008 06:14PM
Yeah, the McWire isn't all that stable for machining purposes. You get quite a bit of flex and jitter when doing that kind of stuff.

Aren't the printed plastic extruders still available form the RRRF store? Or, if you are across the pond, doesn't Ian have a kit?

I had access to a HUGE machine shop and machined one out of aluminum. Runs like a champ and I would recommend that to anyone with those resources but the plastic ones work well enough. Save yourself the hassle and just buy it since its available. Just my opinion though.

Demented
August 24, 2008 12:43PM
i'm also considering buying the plywood set, then replacing it with plastic parts. Perhaps some varnish or enamel could prevent the splintering?

I'll no longer need the parts after reprapping a set but they would make an excellent present for a friend, so longevity is a concern.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login