Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors spin the opposite direction

Posted by Fizpok 
Motors spin the opposite direction
February 16, 2015 01:53AM
Hi,
I have a Reprap, wired according to schematics, red wire from motors towards the power, black towards the RAMP's pot.
Still, when I click "+" in Repetier host, X, Y move towards the endstop, while Z moves UP.
When I click "home", everything moves away from stops.
Any suggestions?
Re: Motors spin the opposite direction
February 16, 2015 02:34AM
Either power down and reverse your plugs or change the direction in your firmware.
February 16, 2015 04:31AM
I understand. However, considering that I wired things correctly and firmware is at defaults, what is the reason for it not being right?
February 16, 2015 11:35AM
Wiring red to power and black to ground does not make sense in the context of a stepper motor. You one describe 2 wires, but there are 4. What did you do with the other 2 wires?

Different manufacturers use different colors for the wires. All you need to determine is how the wires pair, and then connect one pair to 1A/1B and the other pair to 2A/2B on the pololu. And it's quite common to get them reversed when initially wiring them up. Also, the arrangement of components on the axis has as much to do with the motors going "forward" and "backwards" as the wiring does. My original X axis on my prusa had the motor hanging behind the belt. I printed some new X ends that moved the motor to the front of the belt and my X axis started moving backwards.. I had to go into the firmware to reverse the direction of the motor. The point is that there is no forwards and backwards - you just need to figure out what works.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the "RAMP's pot". There is no potentiometer on the RAMPS card.
February 16, 2015 11:42AM
I believe he's referring to the pot on the stepper driver. However - The pots on a A4988 is on the opposite end than on a DRV8825...

The firmware defaults are generic placeholders. They should be changed to accommodate your printer wiring. smiling smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login