Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glue Stick Update

Posted by elwood127 
Glue Stick Update
February 03, 2015 07:03PM
I just shouted out the awesomeness of elmers purple glue stick on another post. Just went to release this part from cooled glass. Dug under edge of part and glass snapped in two. Surface area of part was about 4x5. It does stick!
Attachments:
open | download - DSC00355.JPG (215.3 KB)
Re: Glue Stick Update
February 06, 2015 08:23AM
elwood127
I just shouted out the awesomeness of elmers purple glue stick on another post. Just went to release this part from cooled glass. Dug under edge of part and glass snapped in two. Surface area of part was about 4x5. It does stick!

Speaking from experience glue is not a good tool to use on heated beds. The heat dries the glue fairly fast which causes issues like in your picture. I recommend using masking tape or 3d printer tape from amazon.
February 06, 2015 07:29PM
I'm printing ABS. On all but the large surface print the Elmers has been remarkable. You should all try it.
February 07, 2015 03:13AM
If your build plate is easily removable, you can put it with the part in the freezer and then it will pop right off. Glue stick is also water soluable and you can run it under warm water to get the part off. If you use Gaffers Tape, most of the glue will stay on it if you use the freezer method. Then you just put the plate back on with little or no extra prep.
February 08, 2015 10:43AM
the problem with glue is that its quite messy. as are most adhesion methods. I've found hairspray to provide a good sticking surface, which also being smoothly applicable and water soluble. Just get the unscented stuff and spray on a good layer, then let dry. Prints hold on while its hot, and pop right off when its cool, with a nice smooth bottom surface.
February 18, 2015 12:38AM
I found with UHU stick that letting the PLA print cool, then heating the bed alone back up to 70deg C let things pop off really easily.
February 18, 2015 10:59AM
plate glass is not a good bed material
February 18, 2015 01:06PM
I have used plain glass from home depot and purple stick glue for the last year. I have 3 rolls of 200mm kapton tape and a roll of painters tape collecting dust.

Neither ABS juice nor hairs spray beats this combination.
February 18, 2015 01:46PM
I use 2.5mm plate glass from Lowes and ive tried glue stick and hair spray and I like them both.
This is with ABS also...
February 18, 2015 08:55PM
I've been using glue stick for a couple years now both on non-heated PLA and heated ABS without problems.
February 19, 2015 09:13PM
Black window tint is awesome for me. super glossy bottom. like a mirror. heated at 50. running pla at 205. sticks great. parts pop off after couple of seconds. no razor blades nothing. stays super clean. slick as glass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login