Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many printers do we need?

Posted by AquaticsLive 
How many printers do we need?
May 05, 2015 10:06AM
I have found that 3D printing is very addictive, I started out borrowing one from a friend for work projects. After that I was addicted!

Wondering if the hobby is going towards specific built machines now. Like small parts print best on the little printer with very light weight printhead. Printing stronger parts, there is a need for a larger nozzle more heat and just a bigger printer in general.

Right now I have three printers, my thirds is a larger scale full DIY (300X400X400) not fully completed, but it works. I am building the power unit right now; with testing they are just laying on the floor.

How many and what are you future plans?
Re: How many printers do we need?
May 05, 2015 01:07PM
I have 3. Two are Prusa I2's and the other is a cube design made from T-slot rail. I am looking to build a Delta for my 4th. Its so much easier to build these printers when you already have one.

Addendum..

Thank you to all of you that post the solutions to all of the problems ( and there are many) because without you I would have no printers. The knowledge base on this site is simply staggering to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 05:37PM by Shank man.
May 05, 2015 03:04PM
Let's see...

Ordbot (rebuilding/upgrading)
Davinci (running)
Funbot (running)
Funbot#2 (completing wiring now. Build for a friend though.)
Smartrap CoreXY (building)
RK Delta (Printing parts for it now on Davinci
TSlot Tantillus (Printing parts for it now on Funbot)

I like building these things...
May 05, 2015 03:30PM
Same here I love building things sometimes more than using them. I always have some project. Seems like Multirotor hobby has allot of 3D printer guys too.
May 05, 2015 04:26PM
I have just my one Makerfarm 8" i3
Id like to have another but I cant figure out why I would need more than one for personal use?
May 05, 2015 05:18PM
Easy, when it breaks you can print out the repair parts. Print 2 parts at once. Print PLA and ABS at the same time....

Mainly... Double your FUN!
May 05, 2015 09:27PM
3 and going for the 4th one.

One CTC replicator dual and 2 of my own design (same with the third one on the way)
May 06, 2015 01:48AM
This is still a slow process. Especially if you observe the best practice that suggests you supervise prints and have a day job, it can take a long time to make major projects on a single machine.

It also keeps you printing with a machine down, making your own repair parts if needed, and allows you to have machines with different capabilities...Build volume, temperature limits, enclosures, multiple extrusion, high speed, direct drive vs. Bowden, syringe extruders, portability...Some characteristics directly conflict, some require major compromises, and some would require so much reconfiguring you'd be reconfiguring more than printing.

In answer to the subject line...MORE! smiling smiley
May 06, 2015 11:36AM
Yes love not having to worry if I have a spare part if something breaks on one printer. When I got my first one I got lucky and noticed a part was failing put some glue on it and printed a replacement. After that I decided I wanted another printer. Now I guess most of having multiple printers for me is being able to get a project printed faster by splitting it between the printers.
May 07, 2015 11:31PM
I need one !
It is very funny cause not having one printer yet but I could answer some of question out there!!
Building my first one from scrapped parts from robotics machines:
X axis 24"
Y & Z depend on how I cut the alumin track
Extruder building IT from old PC big aluminum hetsink with 1/4" threated rod
And brass acorn nuts
Dell 70A 12 V Dc power supply from a Dell server hacked
Mmmmm getting off topic

I need one printer! :-)
May 08, 2015 11:23AM
We (I really ha ha) have 10 Prusa i3's with extended beds (200x300) a regular Prusa i3, a Kossel Mini, an i3PRO (all steel i3) and a Printrbot Simple Metal.

So, that's 14 printers...yeah, I would say I have a problem..

Making it better for Makers!
[makerfront.com]
May 09, 2015 09:17AM
I feel better now about my small collection smiling smiley

Prusa 2
mendelmax 1.5 (ish)
I3 plate ramps
i3 plate 4pi
Rostock (moves but no hotend, on hold)
Kossel mini (unfinished) (are they ever really finished?)
2 * I3 Milled frame kits, Just started, probbly going to gut Prusa 2 and Rostock for parts)

So only 6 going on 8... depends what happens...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login