Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cartesio type 3d printer Y axis motor requirement

Posted by Bobyni 
Cartesio type 3d printer Y axis motor requirement
May 10, 2015 08:37PM
hello all

trying to calculate if NEMA 17 17HS8401 1.8A (x 2)
installed for Y axis

to pull the X axis of total weight of 1900g woould be possible?
ha, plus Y axis' it selves pulley, belt and carriage; another 800g given and take.

I read that a web site could calculate the needed torque for the type of traction, but it require me to register and did not want to...
could anyone kindly provide some feedback? greatly appreciated

in another word: I would like to know if TWO of my NEMA 17 could pull the total weigh of aprox. 2.7Kg (of course not a dead weight)

Thanks, gracias, Merci!!
Re: Cartesio type 3d printer Y axis motor requirement
May 10, 2015 11:23PM
Try this: [www.orientalmotor.com]

It worked for me.
May 11, 2015 09:50AM
Thanks D_D
Ha, thus is the site that I was talking about....
And I see on the top right corner it allows you to try it!,

I am not that technical all data that must entered confuses me big time..... Need my physics book out for that!
:-)
Will gather for info and see.....
May 11, 2015 04:13PM
I have a bit of a low tech way to check how much force is needed to move an axis. This in not exact but gets you close enough to get a motor the right size. I use a piece of string and wrap it around the pulley several times and use a luggage scale to see how much pulling force is needed to move it. Like this one LINK

The problem I had calculating things out the engineering way was each bearing can increase the force needed, so I played around with belt tension to get lower numbers as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 04:13PM by AquaticsLive.
May 11, 2015 07:03PM
AquaticsLive
I have a bit of a low tech way to check how much force is needed to move an axis. This in not exact but gets you close enough to get a motor the right size. I use a piece of string and wrap it around the pulley several times and use a luggage scale to see how much pulling force is needed to move it. Like this one LINK

The problem I had calculating things out the engineering way was each bearing can increase the force needed, so I played around with belt tension to get lower numbers as well.

That will get you a static measurement only. The right way to calculate motor size is to account for friction, stiction, momentum, acceleration, and desired accuracy/precision. The calculator at Oriental Motor does just that.
May 11, 2015 11:39PM
Thanks Aquaticlive!
And D_D for clarifying the scientific way!!
I am not using any rod fir my Y axis
It will be on aluminum extrusion that is square and uses inner carriage pulled by belt
On top of carriages will be mouthed my X axis that has extruder and the motor yo move it......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login