Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto Bed Leveling not lowering nozzle far enough

Posted by drdray1 
Auto Bed Leveling not lowering nozzle far enough
August 17, 2015 10:21PM
Hi guys, I'm having an issue where my auto bed leveling is executed just fine but when I go to print it heats up and everything but then starts printing in mid air. sad smiley
Any ideas?
Help is appreciated!! Thank you!

Here is the video of the printer in action of failure
Video Of The Problem

Here is a slideshow of my Settings in Marlin
Pictures of the settings
Re: Auto Bed Leveling not lowering nozzle far enough
August 18, 2015 01:59AM
Look at the startcode of your slicer. Some slicers lift the nozzle by 15mm before printing. Comment out this line or change the value and try again.

Cura startcode:

G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0     ;move Z to min endstops
;G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

-Olaf
August 18, 2015 08:33PM
Hi Olaf thanks for the input, I replaced my start GCode which was standard start Gcode for slic3r and the 15 didnt do anything so I changed it to -8.5 and at the end of homing the z axis it would lower to -8.5 but would immediately raise back up to the height it shows in the video and begin printing. Any ideas?

-Drayton
August 24, 2015 11:44AM
The Probe Offset From Z is wrong.
August 26, 2015 12:38PM
As Xelad said, you need to adjust the z offset. This can be done in firmware, gcode or using the LCD if you own one.

First find out what the z offset is by homing using G28, then moving the z axis down manually (use pronterface or repetier host v1.04) until a single sheet of paper moves with a little resistance under the nozzle. You might want to move the nozzle to the middle of the bed G1 X100 Y100 Z0. If you own a lcd you can see the z position. This is your offset. You can use M114 to get the current position in repetier or pronterface (make sure you turn on the logging window in repetier).

In the slicer start code you can add after G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z
G92

G92 will reset the current position as the new X0 Y0 and Z0. When the print is taking place the first layer is now at the proper height.

If you own an LC display, in marlin, use the menu control/motion/z offset. Make sure you understand that the number represents a subtraction, so a larger number means the z offset moves closer to the bed, a smaller number moves away from the bed.
August 28, 2015 09:09PM
Hi I've followed this to a T, twice and mine is still doin the same thing. I've had mine zeroed out with the nozzle .1mm off the bed and after I run G28 and then G29 and try to print, it still tries to print in mid air. When homed it is at zero, but when it prints LCD says Z is at +4.40 but actually it is 8mm above home. My Z offset is at 4.50. I'm at wits end. I've tried what Zennmaster says to do and a few others on YouTube, but nothing seems to work. I've even tried to do a G1 Z-...after the G29 and it will go down, but will rise up before printing???? Thanks for any advice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 09:15PM by brad0315.
August 29, 2015 02:09AM
You need to do a g92 right after g1 z-xx where xx is the z offset. You can increase the z offset until it hits the sweetspot. Also make sure the gcode isn't raising z somewhere. I've also noticed that if you use auto bed levelling grid the z offset is somehow increased. So the 8mm could be caused by abl grid. Just increase z offset and it should be ok.
So try my instructions from my previous post, add g29 before manually dropping the z axis. Then read the offset. This should be the one to use.
August 29, 2015 02:52AM
Thanks imqqmi I sure will. I was wondering if something with the grid could be causing that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login